Growth mindset (i18n)
This is the elementary and middle school version of growth mindset activity #3: Mistakes as puzzle pieces. There are 3 parts to this growth mindset activity. To assign the activity to your class, assign all 3 parts.
Here are three common ways we allow mistakes to hurt our learning process:
1. We get discouraged. A mistake triggers our fixed mindset voice, and we get frustrated or give up.
It’s a missed opportunity if we don’t course correct when we hear thoughts such as “I’ll never be good at this” or “I’m just not a math person”.
2. We don't reflect on our mistakes. We ignore the mistake or don’t spend time reflecting on why it happened. This is a missed opportunity to understand a mistake and avoid making it again!
3. We avoid taking risks or doing tasks we've made mistakes in before. We avoid situations because we don’t want to make mistakes again, and then we miss out on learning opportunities.
Want to join the conversation?
- Pinky shouldn't continue with the bike thing. If it harms him/her (it?), then he/she (it?) should stop.
- I think he/she/it could totally make that jump but they definitely need more protection.
- our brain works really hard so even when we get something wrong does not mean we are dumb or stupid it just means we need to practice and learn from our mistakes(34 votes)
- ur brain is growing when u read about pinky(22 votes)
- even if something is hard don't give up because your brain is growing when you learn(8 votes)
- We all make mistakes. Don't be afraid to ask or feel intimidated because, we all don't know everything. It helps your brain and your growth mindset by knowing how you feel when you make a mistake. By knowing that people make mistakes, nobody is perfect and everyone is learning something every second of your day.(10 votes)
- A mistake I made recently even though I tried my best was football. I didn't catch the ball.
After I made the mistake I tried again to catch the football.
My reaction of dropping the football helped me from trying again because it made me want to catch the ball even more.(9 votes)
- A mistake i made recently was not studying for my
social studies. After i made this mistake i realized i should study a couple of days before the test. My reaction of getting a b helped me study more so next time i could get an A.(7 votes)
- how is he/she/it actually riding his/her/its bike after his/her/its tire is bent so bad it looks like the ghost from pacman?(7 votes)
- We all make mistakes.(6 votes)
- why people don't want to accept their mistakes?If they accept their mistakes,then why they repeat?(5 votes)
- Sometimes with mistakes people see them as failures [I'm guilty of that myself], and then they refuse to do something that they "failed" at. And even if they realize that you can grow from mistakes, they still might be afraid of the fear.(1 vote)