Humans love to create, whether we're cooking a big meal, painting a mural, building a house, or programming an app. Collaborative software enables us to create things together online.
Groups of people can plan what they'll create using project management software, share project files with each other using file storage services, and document their learnings in shared wikis. They can even create digital artifacts together in real-time, using tools for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, mind mapping, charting, design prototyping, and pair programming.
When multiple people are working on the same digital artifact, they can work more quickly and build on each other's ideas—but they might accidentally overwrite each other's contributions. That's why most collaborative software also includes revision history: a log of edits with timestamps, authors, and the ability to revert back to an edit.
All of this collaborative technology is possible thanks to cloud computing. Online services host the software and user data in the "cloud"—Internet-connected servers and data centers—and that makes it possible for multiple users to access the same functionality and data at the same time.
🤔 Consider what you create with groups of people in physical spaces. What isn't possible to create collaboratively online? Are there fundamental technological reasons why we can't create those things online, or are we just waiting for the right entrepreneur to come along? You, perhaps?
Want to join the conversation?
- why do you have to collaborate? and is it neccesary? and is collaborating allowed in Khan Academy?
~Any Help will be appreciated!(0 votes)
- Collaboration allows us to achieve much more than we could by ourselves. Say you have a very large project, like programming a game or organizing a large event. Coordinating with other people allows you to reduce the workload and get additional input from others (in case you have questions or get stuck).
I don't think computers would never have come to the point where they are now without a very large amount of collaboration to conquer different challenges and tasks.
Yes you can collaborate on Khan Academy (you could try to answer a question if you see one and try to figure out the solution together with the person that asked the question), although the site doesn't offer all that many tools for it.(2 votes)
- What is a benefit of online collaborative software?(1 vote)
- That you can collaborate with classmates and friends to build upon each other's skills(0 votes)
- There can be many ways we can’t collaborate and Should collaborate agree to disagree but can there be a nother way to collaborate more likely to be necessary?(0 votes)
- Do you think is a good idea to have all the work done on the collaborative software?(0 votes)
- Collaboration is essential to programming. This is an important concept on the AP exam. Collaboration brings multiple perspectives to the table. These perspectives can help you outline goals for your program so that it'll meet the needs of your customers.(1 vote)
- I got a question, is it possible to collaborate on a program on khan Academy?(0 votes)
- Yes, if you go to Computer-programming > New Program > Help Requests. There, you can ask questions about how to work your program.(1 vote)
- can we collaborate here on khan academy?(0 votes)
- To a very limited degree.
You could use these forums to work through a problem with someone else, that would be a form collaboration.
But khan academy isn't really suited for longer projects or very difficult tasks. Services like github (a collaboration platform for software development) are better for something like that.(2 votes)