Pixar in a Box
Rigid body system
Simulating hair with rigid line segments.
Use the controls to change the number of hairs as well as the number and length of segments in each hair. Click and drag to the head to move it.
See what effects you can come up with, then move on when you're happy.
Want to join the conversation?
- How do you even get to this point? I see how each of the controlled factors affect the movement, but is this all backed up with computer coding. If so, what does that look like? What is the "math" involved to get us to this point?(97 votes)
- You can find the code for this program here: https://www.khanacademy.org/computer-programming/rigid-body-system/5042216571568128
The math is relatively easy and covered in the later lessons.(71 votes)
- why is gravity required in this activity?(20 votes)
- if you move the head around with zero gravity you will realize that the hair don't come down. The more you increase gravity the straighter her hair gets.(19 votes)
- Would each segment react like a pendulum? Multi-jointed pendulums are chaotic afaik. How do you accommodate that?(8 votes)
- Adjust the amount of segments and add more gravity.
- I think(1 vote)
- So if 0 gravity is equal 100% upwards that means that 15 gravity is is stll going to have gravity but not that much right?(8 votes)
- *0% gravity doesn't mean 100% upwards.* It means that an object will remain in its position unless force is applied unlike when gravity is there, it is pulled down even when there is no force applied.(8 votes)
- How can the "hair" in the simulation come back into a straight line, and joins together like a magnet? When you bring the head -attached to the hair- around, why don't the hairs separate, so it looks like a real person's?(9 votes)
- how do you do the hair like the animation(5 votes)
- setting it to max is hilarious!(6 votes)
This isn't a bad idea.(5 votes)
- if you put everything to the lowest then starting from hairs put all settings to full it looks like what i call "demon hair"(5 votes)
- can i add color to the hair i made(4 votes)