Pixar in a Box
Simple pinhole camera
Try changing the aperture in the pinhole camera simulation below and taking an image. After experimenting with it for a while, answer the questions below.
What is the effect of changing the aperture size?
Decreasing the size of the aperture makes the image
light reaches the image plane.
the size of the aperture makes the image less blurry.
Why is the image less blurry?
Why does the image appear upside down?
Let's start by considering a point on the object that is above the pinhole, such as the top of the tree.
Rays of light hitting this point on the object will be moving
The light from this point that passes through the pinhole will be moving
As this light passes through the pinhole, it will
towards the bottom of the image.
So light from the top of the object will end up at the bottom of the image and by the same logic, light from the bottom of the object will end up at the top of the image.
Want to join the conversation?
- how fast is light(55 votes)
- 299,792 kilometers per second!(90 votes)
- What would happen if the image was upside down on the side w/ the tree??(23 votes)
- it would be the right side up
ex:in movie theatres the is projected upside down(8 votes)
- I understand why it turns upside down but it is so interesting to me how the aperture makes it turn upside down when it gets on 14.(17 votes)
- It will always be upsidedown but with the wider aperture, it blends in more with the other colors.(6 votes)
- what does apertune mean?(8 votes)
- aperture is the hole that light comes from(18 votes)
- what if the pinhole were larger then the amount of light
coming in(10 votes)
- Light will get into the spots where it doesn’t need to be at. Thus making everything blurry(5 votes)
- Why was the image upside down?(6 votes)
- The light from the top of the tree is unable to bend back up towards the top once it goes through the pinhole, while light from the bottom goes upwards, since the the covering is keeping any other direction of light from hitting the film. I hope this helps(9 votes)
- How long does it take to make a Pixar animation?(6 votes)
- it can take anywhere from 4 to 7 years but most of the really game changing stuff happens in about 6 to 8 months. for a movie like merida it would take longer because the hair is so complex to build.(4 votes)
- 1: without light would you still see the movie ?
2: How do they get the movie to the movie theater and or the app?
3. Why do they have to put light in one at a time?(4 votes)
- Try do light at max and the small hole at like 3(3 votes)
- if you put the aperture on 2 and then the light at max it looks the best(2 votes)
- Why is it upside down there but in the actual movie it isnt?(3 votes)