Korea is a mountainous peninsula surrounded by the sea on three sides. It shares its northern borders with China and Russia, and its closest southern neighbor is Japan, which lies across a narrow strait. The Korean peninsula measures approximately six hundred miles from its northern tip to its southern end.
The people of Korea have governed themselves since ancient times, except during the period of Japanese colonial rule (1910–1945). Koreans speak a single language and regard themselves as homogeneous, although some intermixing has taken place with the peoples of Northeast Asia, Mongolia, China, and Japan.
Want to join the conversation?
- "Explore the Royal Palaces of Seoul, monastic practices that keep traditional painting alive, the ancient temples of Nara, and the conservation of the Gan Ku Tiger Scroll in the British Museum."
-> this is the description for the first page "korea" overview comment. i'm so sorry this description is wrong ( i am korean and i studied korean arthistory in university. ) the temples of nara is in japan. although they were influenced from ancient korea the three kingdoms and substantial objects of the templs in nara are mostly made by the people from the three kingdoms.
and what's the gan ku tiger scroll? that's not the correct name at least i've learned and it's not found in the text and any other pages.
please correct the wrong things.(10 votes)
- You Guys Should watch Saimdang it is a Korean Drama it is a season episode 1 - 28.
It is really cool here is the website to this video.
- I live in Korea,Busan, Marine city. It's Wonerful!(3 votes)
- lol. I feel like that's every fangirl's dream. even if ur not fangirl and like singing, dancing, rapping, etc, kpop is a very competitive but fun and challenging industry. if I was a kpop idol in a kpop group, my name would be Vic and I would be in a four girl group band called Qeenz run by BigHit (probably wont happen since I'm not Korean but I can rap and sing in Korean! lol)(7 votes)
- why the country divided into 2?
how the cultures differ from one another?(3 votes)
- Short ver: the two countries split after a civil war after WWII, the north are communists and the south are capitalists.(7 votes)
- the symbol at the bottom reminded me of the seventeen symbol. any kpop fans here?(4 votes)
- what is korea's language called and how is it pronounced?(1 vote)
- Great King Sejong made 훈민정음 (Hoon-Min-Jeong-Eum,UNESCO World Heritage) in Joseon, and it was called as 가갸글(Ga-gya-gul), but 주시경 (Joo- Si- Kyeong) renamed as Han-gul(한글)(2 votes)
- wow so many people here for the kpop. im a kpop fan and i just came here to learn about the actual history and not oppas(2 votes)
- why are'nt we alloud in North Korea(1 vote)
- north korea doesn't "kill anyone who comes". they want the united states to stop with all the imperialism and leave their country alone. the misconceptions that north korea is a terrible and evil country is just US propaganda because obviously the US doesn't want American people to think communism is a good system.(3 votes)
- who's the presedent for north korea(1 vote)