- Introduction to character
- Warm up activity
- Internal vs. external features
- Activity 1: Internal & external features
- Wants vs. needs
- Activity 2: Wants vs. needs
- Activity 3: Obstacles
- Character arc
- Activity 4: Character arc
- Activity 5: Stakes
- Advice on characters
- Glossary: Character
Warm up activity
How would your character respond to a crisis?
Warm up: elevator test
This is an activity you can return to many times during the creation of a character.
Step 1: Pick a character from one of your favorite films. How would they respond to being trapped in an elevator? Draw or write a single page about what happens.
Step 2: Return to a character you are in the process of creating and do the same thing.
Disclaimer: One does not literally have to get locked in an elevator to do this exercise!
Want to join the conversation?
- Ralph would probably WRECK the elevator(140 votes)
- No, then Vannelope would probably scold Ralph and start glitching like crazy.(20 votes)
- What if my character can't get stuck inside an elevator? Say it's an artificial intelligence and doesn't have a body. It's just sitting there inside a server somewhere.(52 votes)
- Then you stick it into a rhetorical elevator. Or, since it is AI, it might get stuck into a device like a TV, that then gets unplugged. (Or a file, or (this is not like an elevator) it's electronics get splashed with water and it has to deal with reduced functionality.)(105 votes)
- is anyone else having flash backs from the maze runner...
"the kids will have to be tested in enclosed environments to see how they react... "
am I the only one?(73 votes)
- I was also thinking that! I love the series and that popped into my mind:)(9 votes)
- Katniss Everdeen wold wistle in her own special way, like a mockingbird, and Peeta Mellark would come to rescue her. She would search every corner of the elevetor.s walls and would find an error in the system. Disconnect the interface and the real forrest would appear. There was no elevator. Katniss, be cautious!(37 votes)
- Just stay called and don' t go crazy because soon or later someone is going to get you out so just stay calm.(16 votes)
- Edward Scissorhands gets stuck in an elevator.
He's very confused by this contraption anyways, so he just sits down and waits, assuming that the machine is supposed to take this long.
Eventually someone notices that the elevator is stuck and gets it fixed, when they open it Edward stands up and walks out.(40 votes)
- Sounds right to me!(3 votes)
- I'd pick General/ Princess Leia. Her reaction: Pulls out blaster and shoots the door, but the bolt just ricochets and she ducks so it doesn't hit her and shoots it out of the air, letting the sparks dissipate. She kicks the door, and when it doesn't give way, she'd fast-talk the robotic interface into letting her out of there. If that doesn't work, she'd think up five different strategies and hotwire the computer panel to force the doors open, then just in retaliation, as she's walking out, she'll blast the interface to shreds and continue walking with a straight face, like nothing happened.
What if a character just collapses in shock of seeing an elevator if they're from the past?(27 votes)
- Or Chewbacca would just pull the doors apart to get out or he would growl, howl and bang the walls.(7 votes)
- If Tony Stark was stuck in an elevator, He would be very relaxed. He would be calm for the first hour with making some snotty remarks as he usually does. Now if he had his iron Man suit however will determine what happens next.
-With Iron Man Suit-
If the walls around him were too thick to be broken by the repulsors or missiles, he would most likely begin to tinker with his suit to make it better while he waits to distract himself. However eventually due to Tonys feelings, he would begin to grow tired of being there once he is finished and then after that would most likely begin to take apart his suit and the panels to the electronics on the elevator. He would use the parts from his suit to do his best to hack into the software of the elevator to make the elevator open the doors so he can leave
-Without the suit-
If Tony didn't have his suit he would probably sit there bored for a while. Maybe he would begin to start getting into his feelings more and begin to talk to himself about things like his father, Pepper, or anyone he cares about for that matter. Soon enough in doing this desperation or anxiety would kick in along with his PTSD. When this happens he would begin to try to open the panels of the elevator electronics to hack into it. Tony being the mad genius that he is would most likely get out by doing that unless the challenge ended before he could finish. However this process of hacking the elevator would take much longer due to him not having his suit or any tools.(25 votes)
- he made the suit in a cave with bunch of scraps..........(8 votes)
- what if they actually spend 3000 years in this elevator instead of a few hours then when the get out they are confused about what happen and trying to understand.(18 votes)
- i put sans in the elevator and he was making elevator jokes(12 votes)
- Telling puns on an elevator is wrong on so many levels.(9 votes)
- I would put Detective Pikachu in an elevator and he will probably try to use thunderbolt on the elevator to charge it and make it work again(12 votes)
- Or like he usually does he'll just outright panic(4 votes)