- Introduction to storytelling
- Your unique perspective
- Activity 1: Expressing memories
- Your favorite stories
- Activity 2: Your three favorite films
- What if...
- Activity 3: What if...
- World & character
- Activity 4: Characters & worlds
- Advice from storytellers
- Glossary: Storytelling
Activity 2: Your three favorite films
Part A: Identify the three films that you would take to a deserted island....
A scene from Pixar's film "Up" of a very tall waterfall.
Part B: Why do you think you connected with these stories? Come up with at least one reason for each.
Part C: What, if anything, do these three films have in common? How are they different?
You can submit your ideas in the Tips & Thanks section below, or write them down in your story journal.
Want to join the conversation?
- My first movie I chose is Up. This movie has always been a favorite of mine because of the weird connections throughout the movie. Caral Fredricksen lost not only his wife but his best friend. Right before she passed he wanted to bring her to a trip that they have been wanting to go on since they were kids. A trip to Paradise Falls. Everything was coming to an end in Carl’s life, but Caral decided that he wanted to finish him and his wife’s dream. Right before Caral left he came across a “wilderness explorer” name Russell. Russell and Caral didn’t connect at all. Throughout the movie Russell introduced him to Doug and that big bird thing. Because of Russell, Carl opened he s eyes to the world. He found a new person he cared for, that he loved. After all the chaos Caral still managed to land his and Ellie’s house on top of Paradise Falls. He finished her dream. Thanks to Russell, Carl finally got to finish.
This movie always made me emotional because of the relationships built and the way everything laid out. I’ve read a lot about the possible meaning behind this movie. Whatever it was meant to be, it will always be loved. This movie will forever make my heart feel full. The emotions that it brings me makes me appreciate so much.
My next movie is Wall-E. This movie begins with a view of the earth, or what is left of it. It shows what humans have done to the planet. Everything that is left is waste. Humans have killed the planet. With only a few species shown I’m guessing that a great percent of species have died by the cause of garbage and pollution. This movie has one of the biggest messages. It’s about the environment and why we need to care for our planet, because hey, it’s the only one we have. When we see the perspective of Wall-E we realize how awful our species have become. We have become selfish and ignorant. We don’t care about any other species because we can just fix their doings with technology. This movie brings awareness of positive change that needs to be done in order to save what can become.
The last movie I have picked is Big Hero 6. Ever since I watched this movie in theaters I have loved it. In the movie Hiro lost his brother in a fire. When looking through his old stuff he found Baymax. His personal healthcare companion. Baymax might have just been a robot, but he was there for Hiro. He helped him through change and just made life easier and a bit more happy.
All these movies have a connecting theme and that is change. Change is linked in all three of these movies. In Up it was living in change, in Wall-E it was creating future change, and in Big Hero 6 it was escaping change. Yes, change is mostly in all Disney movies, but the way the creators put emotion in these movies it really makes me full. All of these movies help me appreciate what I have and what I have become.(63 votes)
- bruhhh full on essay mate. Really good analysis though(26 votes)
- 1: Spiderman: Into the spider-verse. The reason why is that, when I first saw it, it was like a real comic book, like how you would think the characters would move in one. With the choppy movement and the ink dots as well. It also made me realize the amazing look of spray paint art. NOT THE ILLEGAL KIND! Just spray paint art, plus the soundtrack is AMAZING!
2: Venom (the new one). The reason why is because of how amazing it is. I cannot really describe it in words other than, just look at it.
3: Black Panther. This left such a big imprint on me, same as endgame and the new aquaman. All of which are tied for this spot. Is it obvious i'm a comic book nerd?(49 votes)
- 1. Spiderman: Into the Spider-Verse
2. The Lion King
3. Ralph breaks the Internet(19 votes)
- mine is dragon balll z(10 votes)
- The stuff i would take would be Naruto, DBZ, and MHA (My Hero Acadamia). The reason is because anime is my god.(9 votes)
- 1- Nausicaä of the valley of the wind
2- the jungle book 1967
3- Moana(17 votes)
- i really liked moana too(4 votes)
- 1. The Thing (1982)
This is my favorite horror movie. Now, I will point out that I'm not a huge horror movie fan, but this movie hit a little differently. It was creative and the monster was much more ominous and almost like something written by H.P. Lovecraft. It was creative and made me interested in a lot of themes, movies, and shows that became all-time favorites for me.
2. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
This is by far one of my favorite Disney movies. Growing up I would watch it all the time and I'll never forget how deep and complex the story arc and characters are. Something about the movie just kept with me growing up; from the humor to the dark, gruesome reality of the story (that I wouldn't understand until I was older).
Dead Poets Society
Okay, so no one can tell me that Robin Williams isn't an absolute treasure. This movie was one that I didn't get to see until I was older, but I saw it in a time when I needed to. My English teacher in HS decided to show us this movie (my senior year), as the movie teaches you to be yourself and pursue your own goals and aspirations. At the time, I was set on going to school to become an engineer, as most people in my family went into trades, I had no idea of what I wanted to do with my life, and engineering paid well. However, after watching that movie, something just changed. I'm not sure what it was, but it was just like a switch was flipped and BOOM! I was no longer set on being an engineer. It made me reevaluate what I wanted to do, causing me to do a little soul searching and discover that I love to help and teach people. Not too long afterward, I committed to becoming a teacher and striving to help people like working at my local food pantry. That movie, among many other things, motivated me to find what I really wanted to devote myself and quite possibly my entire life to.(16 votes)
- Hotel Transylvania (all the parts)- This movie changed my perspective about ghosts and was emotionally attached to me because my family and my parents also want the good of me just like in the film.
Boss Baby- This movie is also emotionally attached to me because even I have a younger brother, who at the first just seemed like a monster to me, but still we gradually learnt to get along.(11 votes)
- I would choose a hotel in Transylvania because this film altered my perception of ghosts and became emotionally attached to me because, like the characters in the film, my family and parents want the best for me. I would also choose up because it has a connection with he character being sad and at the sem time happy to complete his goal with his wife but he couldn't go with his wifi her wifi passed away .(2 votes)
- Can they be books, cause you can't watch films on an deserted island....?(13 votes)
- but i allso love Avengers Endgame(13 votes)
- 1.Captain America: The First Avenger 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3. Captain America: Civil War, I would take all three of them because it would remind me to never give up and to keep going cause one day I would eventually find a way off the island.(11 votes)
- Harry Potter #1,because this movie made me feel like it was real and that I was going to get a letter.
Spiderman(2002),because no doubt this is action-packed and is with the best Spiderman actor.
Ace Ventura Pet Detective,because of it's comedy as well as it has my favorite actor,Jim Carrey.(5 votes)
- I think that I'm a wizard. Avada Kedavra!(7 votes)