Special topics in art history
The Emperor's Carpet, a 16th-century Persian masterpiece, underwent a massive three-year conservation project. This delicate carpet, once owned by Shah Tahmasp of Iran, dazzles with its intricate animal designs and rich colors. The carpet's journey from Iran to Russia, then to Vienna, and finally to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in 1943, is a testament to its enduring appeal.. Created by The Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Want to join the conversation?
- What's the advantage of using synthetic dyes instead of natural? Are there any side affects that may influence the quality of the carpet?(8 votes)
- Synthetic dyes are generally less expensive and more easily reproduced, since they are made by a chemical process instead of gathered from plants or animals or rocks. I would expect fewer side effects, since synthetic dyes would not have the organic acids which may be found in natural dyes from plants or animals or rocks (which may have plant or animal substances on them).(8 votes)
- How does damage like that done to this carpet occur? Is this just part of the aging process? Or is this due to the movement of the carpet from place to place and daily use such as people walking on top of it?(3 votes)
- Damage according to the video is the result of a multitude of factors. Silk deteriorating at a faster rate than the wool fibers, weakness developed at fold lines, travel from one country to another perhaps through trade, daily use as exhibited at the worn corners all contributed to its disrepair. Previous conservation efforts surely stressed the fibers.(6 votes)
- Who wrote the caption that appears below this video? Was it Khan Academy representatives or someone from the Metropolitan Museum of Art, because there are 2 separate glaring mistakes in diction. Very poor quality to an excellent video.(2 votes)
- Although this is a magnificent carpet what factors are considered when choosing a candidate for conservation?(2 votes)
- In the about section it says the Metropolitan Museum bought the carpet in 1941 and in the video she says it was bought in 1943, which is correct? Also, does anyone know who it was purchased from?(1 vote)