- Intro to exponents
- Exponent example 1
- Exponent example 2
- Squaring numbers
- Intro to exponents
- The 0 & 1st power
- Powers of zero
- Meaning of exponents
- 1 and -1 to different powers
- Comparing exponent expressions
- Exponents of decimals
- Powers of whole numbers
- Evaluating exponent expressions with variables
- Variable expressions with exponents
- Exponents review
In this article, you'll learn how to square numbers!
Here's how we square the number :
What does it mean to square a number?
Want to join the conversation?
- Why is it that when you do exponents of zero it is always 0(19 votes)
- But do not be confused with anything to the power of 0 because that is 1(8 votes)
- khan academy is a great site! ive learned a lot(17 votes)
- In one of the tutorials the answer stated -1 to the 0 power is +1. I don't understand why. If you have a -1 and you times it by itself 0 times, wouldn't that leave you with -1?(8 votes)
- So this is a trick of conventional logic vs mathematical rules. Don't confuse the absolute value of the event with whether or not the event happened. I'll explain.
-1 times itself 0 times means that -1 was in fact multiplied by itself, the event happened, but to an exponent with an absolute value of 0. Therefore the absolute value of -1 is not affected, it remains 1, but the event still happened, so the signs also have to be multiplied, and a -x- is a +, hence the absolute value remains unchanged but the sign changes.
I hope this makes sense, it is a difficult concept to explain.(8 votes)
- can you explian more plz(4 votes)
- what is an easy way to train your brain on multiplying the number that many times(1 vote)
- A lot of it is memorization, but there are also tricks. For example, 9 squared may not seem easy, but it is because 9 times 9 is not obvious, but 10 times 9 is and 9 times 9 is just one less. So you don't explicitly do 9 times 9, you do: (10x9)-9. Doesn't work for everything, but often there are tricks like that. Other example, 5 squared is half of 5x10, so it's just half of 50, and that's easier than actually multiplying 5 5 times in your head.
Hope this helps.(6 votes)
- these exercises were not helpful at all they should give some separate spot for more experienced students.(3 votes)
- what is twice the value of 2 to the power of 15?(2 votes)
- how is the answer a*a how please any one answer me please(2 votes)
- can you teach me faster(2 votes)
- Khan Academy makes everything easier to learn especially math.(2 votes)