Arithmetic (all content)
- Rounding whole numbers to nearest hundred
- Rounding whole numbers to nearest thousand
- Rounding whole numbers to nearest ten
- Round whole numbers
- Rounding whole numbers: missing digit
- Round whole numbers to different place values
- Rounding whole numbers word problems
- Round whole numbers word problems
Rounding whole numbers to nearest ten
Sal rounds 1585 to the nearest ten. Created by Sal Khan and Monterey Institute for Technology and Education.
Want to join the conversation?
- when rounding 50 to the nearest hundredth, do you round up or down? 50 is in between 0 and 100 so, what do you do?(11 votes)
- Fragrant, be careful! Don't confuse "hundredths" and "hundreds". They are the two different things. The "Hundreds" place is the position 3 digits to the left of the decimal point. The "Hundredths" place is the position 2 digits to the right of the decimal point.
... | Thousands | Hundreds | Tens | Ones | . | Tenths | Hundredths | Thousandths | ...
Actually, from reading the rest of your question it is clear that you meant "hundreds", but I wanted to clarify things just in case someone else reads your question.
So, if you want to "round 50 to the nearest hundred", you could rewrite the number as 050 to help you solve the question. Now, according to the rounding rules you would check to see if the number in the tens place is equal to or greater than 5. In other words, is the number to the right of the 0 (in the hundreds place) >= 5? (This number would be the 5 in between the two zeroes). It is! So you would round "up" to 100.(13 votes)
- If the number is
and we have to round to the hundreds, the number would be
- Yes, that's right. Good job on figuring that out! That's not a regular rounding problem!(7 votes)
- there are no examples for decimals?(6 votes)
- just watch/search Rounding Decimals the video! it helped me a
- Why does it have to be 1590 instead of 1580?(4 votes)
- That's just the rounding convention. We round up when a digit is 5 or greater.(9 votes)
- what would 23 be rounded to? At0:49he dose not say what to round it to ?(3 votes)
- 23 would be rounded down to 20 because the last digit, 3, is less than 5.(4 votes)
- Is it just me or does Sal's voice sound weird? because I don't know if my computer is acting up or not.(4 votes)
- how do i round the number 5780(2 votes)
- You look at the last number if it said round the the nearest tens, and since it is a 0, you don't need to round it. It is already rounded. But if it said to round to the nearest hundreds place, then it would be 5800. What you do is you look at the place it is asking you to round to, and you look next door to the right, and you round from there, if it is 4 or less, it goes down but if it is 5 or more, you round up.(3 votes)
- when rounding 50 to the nearest hundred, do you round up or down? 50 is in the between 0 and 100. What do I do?(3 votes)
- If you're looking to create an army of robot dogs, will it really make a difference if you have 10,300 dogs, 9,997 dogs or 10,005 dogs?(2 votes)
- so all u do is make the last 3 numbers to 0(3 votes)
Round 1,585 to the nearest ten. Let me rewrite the number. 1,585 to the nearest ten. So we want to focus on the tens place. If we were to round it up, we would go to 1,500-- let me color code it. We would round up to 1,590. The 8 would round up to a 9. And 90, if we were to round down, we would go to 1,500, and we would round down to 80. So these are our two choices. Now we've seen the last two examples. If the place to the right of it is 5 or greater, we round up. Well, the place to the right of it is definitely 5 or greater. It is 5, so we round up. So it is 1,590. And we're done!