Sal adds 5 + 3 + 6 two ways.
Want to join the conversation?
- Can 5+3+6 become 5-3-6 ?(19 votes)
- They are not the same. In addition, the order of the numbers does not matter but when subtracting, order does matter. Whether you write 5+3+6, 6+3+5 or 3+5+6, the answer would be 14 but if you change the order of 5-3-6 to 3-6-5, the answer would be different for that problem.(8 votes)
- He said there are certain addition problems that you should know off the top of your head? what are all of them so I can memorize?(5 votes)
- Usually, it helps to memorize the additions and subtractions of all the numbers between 1 and 10. If you can memorize these, then it will help a lot when you do addition and subtraction problems with larger digits.(9 votes)
- Can you do it this way 5+6+3=14(2 votes)
- Yes, anything is possible as long as you have the same numbers 5, 3, and 6. The order does not matter as long as you have the same numbers. Hope that Helped!(6 votes)
- [Voiceover] So we have three different shapes. We have stars, we have squares and we have triangles. Now we have a different number of each shape. So we have five stars, we have three squares and we have six triangles. You don't see them all here. This is just telling us how many of each of these shapes that we have. So we have five stars, three squares and six triangles, how many total shapes do we have? Well, you're probably saying, maybe I should add these numbers, because I'm trying to find the total number of shapes. And if you said that I would say you are right. So let's add those numbers. So we want to add five plus three plus six. So what is this going to be? Well what's five plus three, five triangles plus three squares. Well five plus three is eight, so this is going to be eight and then we still have to add six. So we're still going to add six. Now what's eight plus six? Well you may or may not know this, and if you don't this, well you could count things out if you like, but it is a good thing to know just off of the top of your head. So if you don't know it yet, put this in your brain. Eight plus six is 14. Eight plus six is equal to 14. So five plus three plus six is also equal to 14. Now one question you might have is, well does it matter the order that I do this in? Well let's try it the other way around. Let's try it again. Let's try five plus three plus six. Instead of adding the five and the three first, let's add the three and the six first. So what is three plus six? Well that's going to be nine. Then we're going to have five plus nine. Five plus nine. Well, once again, if you know that, you'll know it's 14, If you don't know that, that's another good thing to put in your brain and just to know. Five plus nine is equal to 14. If you don't know that, and you don't believe me take some pebbles out and five pebbles and then nine more, and you'll see that when you add them together, you get to 14. But this is just a good thing for you to know in your brain. And you could have done it the other way around. You could have added five and six first, you get 11 plus three would have also been 14. Either way, you have 14 total shapes.