Review whole numbers, integers, rational, and irrational numbers. Then, practice identifying each.
Examples of whole numbers:
Examples of integers:
Examples of rational numbers:
Examples of irrational numbers:
How are the types of number related?
The following diagram shows that all whole numbers are integers, and all integers are rational numbers. Numbers that are not rational are called irrational.
Want to learn more about classifying numbers? Check out this video.
Want to join the conversation?
- I've been searching everywhere on Khan Academy for this: What is a natural number, and is there a place on KA where I can find something about this?(49 votes)
- The natural numbers are all whole numbers, excepting 0. 0 is a whole number but not a natural number because it does not have a positive or negative value.(70 votes)
- why is -5 not a whole number its is a type of number ?(13 votes)
- Whole numbers are numbers which are not FRACTIONS , DECIMALS or NEGATIVES.
They are numbers from 1 to Infinity and 0. [0, 1, 2, 3 ...]
While -5 is neither a FRACTION nor a DECIMAL , it is still a NEGATIVE for which it is not a WHOLE number.
Negative Non-Fractional,Non-Decimal numbers are not whole numbers.
Only Positive Non-Fractional,Non-Decimal numbers are whole numbers including Zero.
Integers are the numbers which include both WHOLE numbers and their NEGATIVES (Non-Fractional,Non-Decimal Negatives). [... -5, -4, -3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ...]
So -5 obviously falls under that category.
-5 is an Integer , not a Whole number !
Hope it helps !(40 votes)
- what type of number is .33%(9 votes)
- what are non terminating numbers?(6 votes)
- They are numbers like pi, √2, etc. When you express these numbers in decimals, they never stop. These are called irrational numbers. Also, infinity is also not terminating. (Technically, it's not a number. It's just a statement that the number is getting bigger.)(19 votes)
- Are all square rooted numbers irrational?(8 votes)
- Not all square roots are irrational like the square of 9 is three or the square root of 16 is 4 but a lot of numbers are irrational. The square root of a number is if it multiplies by self to get that number. (Like 5*5=25 and the square root of 25 is 5). I hope that makes sense!!(7 votes)
- Would it be accurate to say that whole numbers are positive numbers and zero?(5 votes)
- This is partially correct. The whole numbers are the positive integers and zero. (Note that for example, 1/2 is a positive number that is not a whole number.)
Have a blessed, wonderful day!(8 votes)
- Ummm... Am i the only one that had to take notes because it was kind of challenging for me?(7 votes)
- What is 100/100(5 votes)
- Why is the fraction 22/7 rational if put into decimal form it is not?(2 votes)
- 22/7, which is a ratio of two integers, is rational whether it is written in fraction or decimal form. The decimal form of 22/7 is the repeating decimal 3.142857142857... and so is still rational. Only the value, and not the form, determines whether a real number is rational or irrational.
While pi is irrational, this does not contradict the fact that 22/7 is rational, because the decimal form of pi (that is, 3.14159265358979323...) does not exactly match the decimal form of 22/7. Note that 22/7 is only an approximation of pi.
Have a blessed, wonderful day!(12 votes)
- hey guys I'm in 7 grade I have a test tomorrow so yeah(6 votes)