- Converting a fraction to a repeating decimal
- Writing fractions as repeating decimals
- Converting repeating decimals to fractions (part 1 of 2)
- Converting repeating decimals to fractions
- Converting repeating decimals to fractions (part 2 of 2)
- Converting multi-digit repeating decimals to fractions
- Writing repeating decimals as fractions review
- Writing fractions as repeating decimals review
Review converting fractions to repeating decimals, and then try some practice problems.
Writing fractions as decimals
To convert a fraction to a decimal, we divide the numerator by the denominator.
Writing fractions as repeating decimals
However, it does not always work out that nicely.
Sometimes, when we divide the numerator by the denominator, it becomes clear that the digits will keep repeating. In this case, we write the answer as a repeating decimal.
In our answer, we write a bar over the repeating digits to show that they repeat.
No matter how long we divide, the will continue to repeat in our quotient.
Want to learn more about writing fractions as repeating decimals? Check out this video.
Select the decimal that is equivalent to .
Want to try more problems like this? Check out this exercise.
Want to join the conversation?
- why does math have to be hard like life is hard already(61 votes)
- hello fellow people doing this for summer :)(23 votes)
- UH I am still a bit confused like how would we solve 0.36 but only the 6 is repeating(7 votes)
- Let x = 0.3666....
Only 1 digit (the 6) repeats, so multiply both sides by 10^1=10 to get
10x = 3.6666...
Subtract the first equation from the second equation to cancel out repeating parts, to get
9x = 3.3
Divide both sides by 9 to get
x = 3.3/9 .
We can simplify 3.3/9 by first multiplying top and bottom by 10 (getting rid of the decimal) to get 33/90, then dividing top and bottom by 3 to get 11/30.
The final answer is 11/30.
Have a blessed, wonderful day!(15 votes)
- why does the math have to be so hard(10 votes)
- Thanks to Corona Virus, My teacher posted 402 assignments on here(7 votes)