There are many different relationships between the types of quadrilaterals. Parallelograms have two sets of parallel sides, rhombuses are parallelograms with equal side lengths, and squares are rhombuses with right angles. Though there is overlap, not all quadrilaterals fit into each category. Created by Sal Khan.
Want to join the conversation?
- So let me get this straight, Rhombi are squares because they both have sides of equal length, Quadrilaterals are not rhombi because a quadrilateral can be many different shapes and it is not a parallelogram for the same reason, a parallelogram can be other things. Right? Do I have that correct? Please Answer, thanks.(11 votes)
- Rhombi are not all squares, but squares are all rhombi, just like all rhombi are quadrilaterals but not all quadrilaterals are rhombi. A square is just a more specific type of rhombus, just like a rhombus is a more specific type of square. It's just like fish are all animals (unless they're toys) but not all animals are fish.(12 votes)
- At0:34-0:39, did he also mean to say that all sides are of equal length? A rectangle is also a quadrilateral with only 90-degree angles, but all the sides aren't always the same length.
UPDATE (Mar. 8, 2021): Since a rhombus has sides of equal length, Sal already implied that when bringing up the square. I fully understand now!(16 votes)
- Yes, rhombus is a quadrilateral with 4 sides of equal length. So rectangles are not always rhombus.(6 votes)
- 2:15a square is always a rhombus(13 votes)
- how can a parallelogram and quadrilateral not always be a rhombus? Can someone explain.(4 votes)
- In word problems, be careful not to assume that a quadrilateral has parallel sides or equal sides unless that is stated. A parallelogram has two parallel pairs of opposite sides. A rectangle has two pairs of opposite sides parallel, and four right angles. ... No, because a rhombus does not have to have 4 right angles.(10 votes)
- Hey so i did the practice and it said classify the shape and the shape is square but its rotate to diamond position and i clicked on rectangle because they said squares are rectangles.Rectangles are quadarilaterals with 4 right angles and opposite sides are equal. The shape is a quadrilateral but it does not have 4 right angles so it is not a rectangle.BUT THEN THEY SAID Yes a square is also a rectangle because all 4 angles are right angles and the opposite sides are equal. I DONT GET IT WHY MY ANSWER IS WRONG SOMEONE PLZ EXPLAIN(6 votes)
- How do I make my character grow(4 votes)
- Is impossible to tarigle is has4side(4 votes)
- Yes it is impossible since triangle means 3 sided shape and so it is only used to name 3 sided shapes.
Hope this helps!😀(4 votes)
A parallelogram is a blank with two sets of parallel lines. So let's see what the options are. So one option is a quadrilateral. And a parallelogram is definitely a quadrilateral. A quadrilateral is a four-sided figure, and it is definitely a four-sided figure. A parallelogram is not always a rhombus. A rhombus is a special case of a parallelogram where not only do you have to sets of parallel lines as your sides, two sets of parallel sides, but all of the sides are the same length in a rhombus. And a square is a special case of a rhombus where all of the angles are 90 degrees. So here, all we can say is that a parallelogram is a quadrilateral. And so let's check our answer. And it's always a good idea to look at hints. And so it'll kind of say the same thing that we just said, but it would say it for the particular problem that you're actually looking at. Let's do a few more of these. Suzanne is on an expedition to save the universe. Sounds like a reasonable expedition to go on. For her final challenge, she has to play a game called Find the Rhombuses. A wizard tells her that she has a square, a quadrilateral, and a parallelogram, and she must identify which of the shapes are also rhombuses. Which of these shapes should she pick to save the universe? So a square is a special case of a rhombus. Just to remind ourselves, a rhombus, the opposite sides are parallel to each other. You have two sets of parallel sides. A square has two sets of parallel sides, and it has the extra condition that all of the angles are right angles. So a square is definitely going to be a rhombus. Now, all rhombuses have four sides. So all rhombuses are quadrilaterals. But not all quadrilaterals are rhombuses. You could have a quadrilateral where none of the sides are parallel to each other. So we won't click this one. Once again, a parallelogram. So all rhombuses are parallelograms. They have two sets of parallel sides, two sets of parallel line segments representing their sides. But all parallelograms are not rhombuses. So I would say that if someone gives you square, you can say, look, a square is always going to be a rhombus. A quadrilateral isn't always going to be a rhombus, nor is a parallelogram always going to be a rhombus. We got it right.