Sal solves a multiplication word problem. Created by Sal Khan.
Want to join the conversation?
- I can not understand the question,and i do not know how to answer the question(5 votes)
- so basically, there is 7 pizzas, and those pizzas are cut into 12 pieces each so now you multiply 7 x 12 which gives you 84. So now you know that in total there are 84 slices of pizza. Now for the people, there are 16 people who are coming to the party, and each person is going to eat 4 pieces of pizza. To find out how many pieces of pizza are going to be eaten at the party, we will multiply 16 x 4 because there is 16 people and 4 pieces per person, so this equation gives us 64 now we know that in total 64 pieces of pizza will be eaten at the party. and finally we take our 84 pieces of pizza and subtract/eat 64 of those pieces and what is left of that is the answer. the answer is 20
I really hope that helped!(27 votes)
- yay pizza. what flavour is it?(11 votes)
- i like pizza but free me from school if you tell me im not getting any smarter.(4 votes)
- Free me from school. Lets leave khan academy behind(6 votes)
- 1:30how does he write so well, The dude is almost doing calligraphy on a drawing app with a mouse.(6 votes)
Beatrice is ordering pizzas for a party. Each pizza is cut into 12 pieces. Beatrice wants to have enough pizza so that each person can have 4 pieces. And 16 people will be at the party. A lot of information in this problem. If Beatrice buys 7 pizzas, how many extra pieces will there be after each person eats 4 pieces? So to do this, let's think about how many total pieces she will have. And then let's think about how many total pieces will be eaten by the 16 people. And then we'll figure how much that she had extra. So first, let's think about how many total pieces. And I encourage you to pause the video and try to figure it out yourself. She ordered 7 pizzas. How many total pieces are there going to be? Well, you have 7 pizzas. 7-- that's the number of pizzas. And if you have 12 pieces per pizza, you multiply by 12 to get the total number of pieces. So this is number of pieces per pizza. And 7 times 12 is equal to 84 total pieces. So that's how many pieces she's got. Now let's think about how many get eaten by the 16 people. So you have 16 people. 16-- that's the number of people. And this little symbol, that's shorthand for number. 16 people, and they each eat 4 pieces. So 16 people times 4 pieces per person. So number of pieces per person. 16 times 4 is 64. So that's 64-- not 84-- 64 pieces are eaten by the 16 people. So how much does she have left over? Well, if you start with 84 pieces and 64 get eaten, 84 minus 64 is 20. We deserve a drum roll now. You have 20 extra pieces after everyone eats their share.