Review writing decimals as fractions, and try some practice problems.
Writing decimals as fractions
To convert a decimal to a fraction, we write the decimal number as a numerator and we write its place value as the denominator.
If there is a number to the left of the decimal point, we keep that number as a whole number.
is . So, we write over .
is and . stays a whole number. Then we write over .
Want to learn more about writing decimals as fractions? Check out this video.
Express as a fraction.
Want to try more problems like this? Check out this exercise.
Want to join the conversation?
- How would you express 5.03 as a fraction?(29 votes)
- I know 0.1 is 1 tenth. 0.01 is 1 hundredth. 0.001 is 1 thousandth. But what is 0.0001?(11 votes)
- well you the first zero is a tenth. second is a hundredth. 3rd is the thousandth. 1 is in the 10 thousands. so i gues you could say
- i have no question(10 votes)
- so say i had a question like convert 0.023 into a fraction. would it be 100 or 1000??(8 votes)
- how do u express 5.03 as a fraction(6 votes)
- how do u change 5.03 as a fraction please?(6 votes)
- They should fix the last question because it says express 5.03 as a fraction and some people will think oh that's easy it's 503/100 but it says it's wrong and the right answer is 5 and 3/100 which is right(6 votes)
- It asks for either a proper fraction or a mixed number so 503/100 is not correct (a fraction is only proper if its numerator is smaller than its denominator)(4 votes)