Review the size of grams and kilograms and how to convert between the two. Then, try some practice problems.
Metric units of mass
Mass is used to measure the weight of an object. For example, you are measuring the mass of your body when you step on to a scale.
In the metric system of measurement, the most common units of mass are the gram and kilogram.
How much is a gram?
A small paperclip has a mass of about gram:
How much is a kilogram?
A wooden baseball bat has a mass of about kilogram:
Want to learn more about metric units of mass? Check out this video.
Practice set 1: Estimating mass
Identify the most reasonable unit to measure the mass of a pack of gum.
Want to try more problems like this? Check out this exercise.
Converting kilograms to grams
To convert kilograms to grams we multiply the number of kilograms by .
Converting grams to kilograms
To convert grams to kilograms we divide the number of grams by .
Want to learn more about converting between metric units of mass? Check out this video.
Want to join the conversation?
- i always get confused with the milligrams and kilograms. How do you tell the difference(72 votes)
- In the metric system, "milli" means 1/1,000 and "kilo" means 1,000. This means that a milligram is 1/1,000 of a gram, and a kilogram is 1,000 grams.
So a kilogram is much heavier than a milligram; in fact, a kilogram is a million times as heavy as a milligram!(113 votes)
- how can you convert kilograms to grams or any type of measurement in the metric system in general(31 votes)
- you have to figure out if you need to either multiply or divide by multiples of 10
for example, if you go from grams to kilograms, you divide by 1000
if you go from kilograms to grams, you multiply by 1000
that's it!(13 votes)
- how many grams are in a kilogram(19 votes)
- can you explain the khdbdcm(13 votes)
- KHDBDCM is short for Kilo, Hecto, Deka, Base, Deci, Centi, Milli where base means metre,litre etc.depending upon the thing we are measuring.Kilo, Hecto, Deka, Base, Deci, Centi, Milli are units of measure to indicate a multiple or fraction of the unit.
Hope it helps :)(33 votes)
- How do you guys get your learning so easy for kids like me(13 votes)
- Honey, you just need to understand. Ask the teacher questions if you have them, there is no need to be ashamed. If you put it this way: which is more embarassing: asking a question, or getting an F(23 votes)
- How do you convert 5 grams to kilograms when there is not at least 1000 grams?How do you now the exact decimal?Please explain the formula🥺.(9 votes)
- Hi, this is where decimals come into play, since you do not have 1000 grams, you know you have at least 5 grams of a kilogram. In other words, you still convert the grams into whatever amount of a kilogram regardless if you have 1000 or not, you would have 0.005 of a kilogram. Hope this helped 👍(24 votes)
- Pounds to Kilograms: 1 kg = 2.2 lb.
Gallons to Liters: 1 gal = 3.785 L.
Feet to Meters: 1 foot = 0.305 m.
Miles to Kilometers: 1 mi = 1.61 km.
Cups to Milliliters: 1 c = 240 mL.
Inches to Centimeters: 1 in = 2.54 cm.
Ounces to Grams: 1 oz = 28.3 g.(17 votes)
1 lb = 0.453592 kg
1 l = 0.264172 US gal (0.219969 imperial gallons)
1 m = 3.28084 ft
1 km = 0.621371 mi (0.539957 nautical miles)
1 ml = 0.00422675 US cups (0.00416667 US legal cups, 0.00351951 imperial cups)
1 cm = 0.393701 in
1 g = 0.035274 oz
I perfectly calculated this
I will add more later...(1 vote)
- when can we work more on killagrams and gram(12 votes)
- will it tell me if i have passed the lesson all the way(13 votes)
- upvote me if you live on earth.(14 votes)