Review the size of seconds, minutes, and hours and how to convert between them. Then, try some practice problems.
Units of time
Units of time measure how long something lasts. For example, how many seconds can you hold your breath, or how many minutes long is your favorite movie?
How long are different units?
A second is a short amount of time. It takes about second to turn on a light or open the refrigerator door.
A minute is equal to seconds. It takes about minute to brush your teeth.
An hour is equal to minutes. Extracurricular activities (gymnastics, piano lessons, soccer practice) often last about hour.
Practice set 1: Estimating time
Identify the most reasonable unit to measure the time it takes to bake a pan of cookies.
Want to try more problems like this? Check out this exercise.
Converting larger units to smaller units
To convert larger units to smaller units we multiply the number of larger units by .
Example: Converting hours to minutes
Converting smaller units to larger units
To convert smaller units to larger units we divide the number of smaller units by .
Example: Converting seconds to minutes
Want to join the conversation?
- How many seconds are in an hour?(22 votes)
- There are 3600 seconds in an hour. There are 60 seconds in a minute, 60 seconds in an hour, 3600 seconds in a hour, 24 hours in a day, 7 days in a week, 52 weeks in a year, 365 days in a year, 10 years in a decade, 100 years in a century, 10 decades in a century, 100000 years in an eon.(53 votes)
- why would it be seconds = 1/60 of a minute. It would be easier to say minute = 60 seconds?(26 votes)
- if you live to be 123 years old how many weeks , days hours, minutes and seconds did you live?(16 votes)
- If you are talkimng about the very first moment of january 1st which is 0 seconds then if you were born on that time it would be approxiamately12:00. Nowe we find the amount of days in a year which is 365 days. WAIT WOAH WOAH WOAH. Ok this is theoritically impossible to solve due to our menacing opponent... The leap year. If we dont know what year it was and when the last leap year was then this is a immposible question to solve. We dont require enough information for this. SO your answer is immpossible to solve. Even though you probably are in highschool please give us when the last leap year was.(3 votes)
- for the first section and the third question it says what the average time to pick up the phone is seconds but what if you can't find your phone.Then it can take more than a few seconds. It could take roughly 15 seconds(12 votes)
- What I don't understand is that on practice set 2 it asks how many hours are in 6 minutes. I put 0 and got the rest right but 0 wrong because the answer was 1/10. Why can't it just be 0.(11 votes)
- how many seconds are in an entire year?(9 votes)
- In a "regular" year, there are 365 days. There are 60 * 60 = 3600 seconds in an hour. There are 3600 * 4 = 86400 seconds in a day. Thus, there are 86400 * 365 = 31,536,000 seconds in a regular year.
Now, for a "leap" year, there are 366 days. So, there are 86400 * 366 * 31,622,400 seconds in a leap year.(6 votes)
- how can we know how many hours is 6 min?(8 votes)
- 6 minutes is not enough time for their to be an hour because an hour requires 60 minutes. Therefore if you were do divide 6(minutes) by 60 you would get 0.1, That being the amount of hours in 6 minutes.(4 votes)
- think about how old you are now try and think how much Hours you lived :)(7 votes)
- There are a lot of ways to think about time!
All these expressions mean the same thing:
Not only can you calculate how many hours you've lived, you can also calculate how many years, months, weeks, days, minutes, or even seconds you've lived! Pretty cool! :)(12 votes)
- are you cool?(4 votes)