Finding place value
Sal finds the place value of 3 in 4356. Created by Sal Khan and Monterey Institute for Technology and Education.
Want to join the conversation?
- Why do we use negative numbers?(50 votes)
- at0:32he gives the answer :)(25 votes)
- This might sound like a dumb question, but why couldn't you say four thousand three hundred and fifty-six instead of without the "and"? In theory, they mean the same thing - but I guess you could somehow interpret it as 4300 and 56 (two separate numbers). Is there a "more correct" way to say it?(30 votes)
- When you say AND then that means that any number after that is on the right of the decimal point. My dad taught me that.
- What grade is pre algebra for?(11 votes)
- Pre-algebra is a common name for a course in middle school mathematics. In the United States, pre-algebra is usually taught in the 8th grade. The objective of it is to prepare students for the study of algebra.(11 votes)
- So count after the decimal.....so if its to two decimal places...count two numbers after the decimal point now the next number the third number will determine what you will round that 2nd number to. So 4.8735 to Two decimal places is like.... this count 8 and the 7 that's two decimal places....now look at the next number its less than 5 so we are going to round to 4.97?2:40PM(9 votes)
- Why would you change the 8 to a 9? Underline the place value you are rounding to, then see if it stays a 7 or moves to an 8, so correct answer is 4.87. Rounding to one place, underline the 8 and the 7 causes it to move to a 9, so answer would be 4.9. You had it right in your other post.(7 votes)
- is any one else really good at place vaule blocks? i'm really good at it(9 votes)
- Does negative numbers has place value??(7 votes)
- Negative numbers use the same place values as positive numbers. The numbers are just on the other side of 0 on a number line. The values are just negative.
If you are familiar with expanded form:
27 = 20+7
-27 = -20+(-7)
In both cases we have tens place and ones place.
Hope this helps.(7 votes)
- I Like McDonalds(8 votes)
- hey, um... I,I,I don't get it can you help me plz.(6 votes)
- Just move the numbers from highest to lowest. easy.(2 votes)
- why do we use this strategy it is more complicated and all so why😅(8 votes)
- its in the hundreds place(4 votes)
Find the place value of 3 in 4,356. Now, whenever I think about place value, and the more you do practice problems on this it'll become a little bit of second nature, but whenever I see a problem like this, I like to expand out what 4,356 really is, so let me rewrite the number. So if I were to write it-- and I'll write it in different colors. So 4,356 is equal to-- and just think about how I just said it. It is equal to 4,000 plus 300 plus 50 plus 6. And you could come up with that just based on how we said it: four thousand, three hundred, and fifty-six. Now another way to think about this is this is just like saying this is 4 thousands plus-- or you could even think of "and"-- so plus 3 hundreds plus 50, you could think of it as 5 tens plus 6. And instead of 6, we could say plus 6 ones. And so if we go back to the original number 4,356, this is the same thing as 4-- I'll write it down. Let me see how well I can-- I'll write it up like this. This is the same thing is 4 thousands, 3 hundreds, 5 tens and then 6 ones. So when they ask what is the place value of 3 into 4,356, we're concerned with this 3 right here, and it's place value. It's in the hundreds place. If there was a 4 here, that would mean we're dealing with 4 hundreds. If there's a 5, 5 hundreds. It's the third from the right. This is the ones place. That's 6 ones, 5 tens, 3 hundreds. So the answer here is it is in the hundreds place.