Angle basics review
Review what an angle is and how an angle is measured.
What is an angle?
An angle is two rays that share a .
One ray extends upward and to the right from point A. A second ray extends downward and to the right from point A.
Intersecting lines or line segments also form angles.
Two lines intersect with each other. One line extends from top to bottom. Another line extends right and slightly upward.
Two segments intersect with each other. One segment extends slightly upward from left to right. A second segment extends upward and to the right from the bottom left.
Practice: Identifying an angle
Which of the following figures is an angle?
Angles are measured in degrees.
The wider an angle is open, the greater its measure. If you compare these two angles, the first one is open wider.
So, the measure of this angle
A ray extends from point A towards between 3 and 4 o'clock. A second ray extends from point A to between 5 and 6 o'clock. A pink arc connects these two rays.
is greater than the measure of this angle.
A ray extends from point B towards between 3 and 4 o'clock. A second ray extends from point B towards 5 o'clock. A pink arc connects these two rays.
Practice set: Which angle is greater?
Which angle measure is greater?
Want to try more problems like this? Check out this exercise.
Want to join the conversation?
- What is a Vertex?(65 votes)
- the vertex of an angle is the point where the rays or line segments meet.(113 votes)
- So, do angles relate to shapes like squares and circles?(28 votes)
- At11:00how do I practice to get better at noticing angles, can khan academy help me with that(18 votes)
- A place where two rays meet is called an angle.(8 votes)
- why is B used more than A in these questions?(20 votes)
- I'm not sure.
thank you for making me notice that(8 votes)
- why are angels measured in degress(17 votes)
- the babylonians (an ancient civilization, like Greeks) invented the 360 degree value which is the maximum an angle can be (which is a complete circle and after that, it kinda repeats on itself and the value of the angle gets even bigger). It's based on their base 60 counting (/number) system. There also exist other ways like radian ( angles are measured in pi) and tau (basically, "2*radians" tau = 2pi.)(5 votes)
- how do you measure an angle(13 votes)
- ABC angle would measure how far A to C is(11 votes)
- why are you not showing if it is a right angle or something like that?(15 votes)
- Because you need to figure it out yourself(3 votes)
- what is a plane figure(12 votes)
- but if the wider angle is greater then what is a circle(13 votes)
- 360 is a circle’s angle.(7 votes)
- I did not know it my teacher did not Teach me this.(11 votes)
- Maybe you were out someday when she taught it. Anyway, Right angle=90 degrees, Obtuse angle=more than 90, acute angle=less than 90.(5 votes)