Review surface area and try some practice problems.
What is surface area?
Surface area is the amount of space covering the outside of a three-dimensional shape.
Finding surface area
To calculate surface area, we add the areas of all the faces of the three-dimensional figure.
Want to learn more about finding surface area? Check out this video.
Example: Rectangular prism
Find the surface area of the right rectangular prism shown below.
Let's draw a net of the rectangular prism.
Each of the sides is a
The total area of both sides is
The bottom and the top are both
The total area of bottom and the top is
The back and the front are both
The total area of the back and the front is
Let's add the areas to find the surface area.
The surface area of the rectangular prism is
Find the surface area of the square pyramid shown below.
Want to try some more surface area problems? Check out this exercise.
Want to join the conversation?
- How do you find the surface area of a cylinder??(100 votes)
- Would it be possible to find the surface area of a sphere?(37 votes)
- the question to find the surface area of a square with sides 2 1/2 confuses me. can someone please explain in detail how to solve this problem?(21 votes)
- Basically, 2 1/2 equals 2.5. So the easiest way to do that is obviously by multiplying 2.5*2.5*6 By the way, * equals multiply.(20 votes)
- What if we don't have a decimal and just a normal number?(12 votes)
- That's ok, you won't always get a decimal or fraction.
Hope this helps, have a great day.(20 votes)
- How do you find the surface area of a cylinder(15 votes)
- The total surface area of the cylinder formula is the sum of the base surface area and the lateral surface area: total_area = base_area + lateral_area , or total_area = 2 * π * r² + (2 * π * r) * h , or total_area = 2 * π * r * (r + h) .(8 votes)
- I Get it but I still need help and a little bit of practice(17 votes)
- how to find the area of a square pyramid?(11 votes)
- I assume you mean the surface area, since a square pyramid is 3-dimensional.
For a right square pyramid with base side length s and slant height L, the total surface area is the area of the square base with side length s, plus the total area of four triangles each with base s and altitude L. So the total surface area is
s^2 + 4(1/2)(sL) = s^2 + 2sL.
(Note well: the slant height is not the same as the vertical height.)(11 votes)
- How do you find the height of a cuboid, when the length, the width and the surface area is given?(11 votes)
- Why are questions called quetions... The more you know.........The less you are(13 votes)