Learn how to use exponents and bases. For example, writing 4 x 4 x 4 x 4 x 4 with an exponent.
Here's what an exponent and a base look like:
The small number written above and to the right of a number is called an . The number underneath the exponent is called the . In this example, the base is , and the exponent is .
Here's an example where the base is , and the exponent is :
An exponent tells us to multiply the base by itself that number of times. In our example, tells us to multiply the base of by itself times:
Once we write out the multiplication problem, we can easily evaluate the expression. Let's do this for the example we've been working with:
The main reason we use exponents is because it's a shorter way to write out big numbers. For example, let's say we want to express the following:
That's really long to write. My hands hurt just from typing it! Instead we can see that is multiplied by itself times. This means we can write the same thing with as the base and as the exponent:
Cool, lets make sure we understand exponents by trying some practice problems.
Write using an exponent.
Complete the inequality with or .
Want to join the conversation?
- is there a easier way of doing a very long exponents ?(67 votes)
- You can use the associative property of multiplication to group numbers.
3^6 = 3 x 3 x 3 x 3 x 3 x 3
If you do in one at a time: 3 x 3 = 9; 9 x 3 = 27; 27 x 3 = 81; 81 x 3 = 243; 243 x 3 = 729
Using grouping: (3 x 3) x (3 x 3) x (3 x 3) = 9 x 9 x 9 = 81 x 9 = 729
Hope this helps.(114 votes)
- how do I express 144 in exponential form?(24 votes)
- why does math exist(26 votes)
- im wrighting notes on my laptop but i cant figure out how to right it as 4 to the 3rd power with out completely typing a sentence out every time i use open office its the same thing basically as microsoft office(14 votes)
- why do we use exponents?(12 votes)
- how are you supposed to write an exponent when your keyboard doesn't do that(9 votes)
- Use the carat symbol "^" (shift-6) on your keyboard.
For example: 5^3 is understood to be 5 to the power of 3.
Hope this helps.(20 votes)
- bro im just trying to pass this school year, not pass away(12 votes)
- it doesnt show it as correct when i type 1 when the exponent is 0 even though my teacher taught us that it will always be 1.(11 votes)
- Do we have to watch the videos even if we know the answer and we understand exsponets(4 votes)
- what is 1000000 to the 3rd power? How do u figure out those big type of exponent questions if you get them(7 votes)