- Points on the coordinate plane examples
- Plotting a point (ordered pair)
- Finding the point not graphed
- Points on the coordinate plane
- Points on the coordinate plane
- Quadrants of the coordinate plane
- Points and quadrants example
- Quadrants on the coordinate plane
- Coordinate plane parts review
- Graphing coordinates review
Review the parts of a coordinate plane, and try some practice problems.
A coordinate plane has one horizontal axis, the
and one vertical axis, the .
and intersect at the . The is located at ordered pair, .
The coordinate plane is divided into four quadrants. Quadrant one (QI) is the top right fourth of the coordinate plane, where there are only positive coordinates. Quadrant two (QII) is the top left fourth of the coordinate plane. Quadrant three (QIII) is the bottom left fourth. Quadrant four (QIV) is the bottom right fourth.
Want to learn more about coordinate planes? Check out this video.
Where is point
located on the coordinate plane?
Want to try more problems like this? Check out this exercise.
Want to join the conversation?
- Why is the second quadrant towards the left and the first is on the right?(60 votes)
- what is a quadrant? how? what? were?(22 votes)
- A quadrant are those boxes outside or the plane those are were the dots are place there are 4 quadrants. Hopefully this helps you.(24 votes)
- Do you have a suggestion to memorize where the quadrants are? I'm having trouble with that..(16 votes)
- Remember, top right = quandrant 1
Then, rememer to go counterclockwise (move left, down, then right) to get the sequence of the numbers.
Hope this helps.(14 votes)
- how do you do fractions on coordinate plane?(7 votes)
- Each axis is a number line. Here is a set of videos for fractions on a number line: https://www.khanacademy.org/math/arithmetic/fraction-arithmetic/arith-review-fractions-on-the-number-line/v/fractions-on-a-number-line
Hope this helps.(27 votes)
- I need help on the negative what negative does it mean? Thank you for your help(8 votes)
- It means that the number or coordinate is a negative (the opposite of a positive).
I hope this helps you.(23 votes)
- what does coordinate plane means?(7 votes)
- The coordinate plane is a tool for representing points on two axis. It is basically a map for charting coordinates. It can also be used to chart inequalities and equations.(12 votes)
- is the bottom right the 4th quadrent or the left?(3 votes)
- when i try to do it i type i always git the rong answer and never right(7 votes)
- That's OK! This confusing topic definitely takes some practice before it feels natural.
Here's some tips to help you remember which quadrant is which:
1) First off, draw down a coordinate plane. In the upper right corner, write (+,+) to symbol that both numbers are positive, then write '1'. In the upper left, write down '(-,+)' and mark it with a '2'. In the bottom right, write (+,-) then put a matching 4. Finally, in the bottom left, write down (-,-). You can then glance at your paper to see 'ok, in the third quadrant the number on the x-axis is positive and the number in the y-axis is negative. Eventually, this will become enrooted in your brain, and quizzes like this will be as easy as 123.
2) Look at the previous tip. You may have noticed that I put (-) to symbol a negative number an (+) to symbol a positive number. You can think of the (+) as an open eye, (-) as a closed eye, and (,) as the mouth. You can then think of the third quadrant, (-,-), as someone sleeping, or 'the lazy quadrant'. Next, think of the first quadrant, (+,+), as someone wide-awake, or 'the active quadrant'. Finally, you can think of the second and fourth as someone winking!
Hope this helped,
- Whats a quadrant? plz help me(4 votes)
- A quadrant means 4 parts of something. So, in a coordinate plane, the 4 "squares" are called quadrants. There are 4 quadrants in a coordinate plane, and they each have different locations and names.
The top right quadrant is called, Quadrant 1.
The top left quadrant is called, Quadrant 2.
The bottom left quadrant is called, Quadrant 3.
Lastly, the bottom right quadrant is called Quadrant 4.
Hope this helps.(9 votes)
- th is would have been helpful before the quiz (Quadrants on the coordinate plane).(8 votes)