- Intro to area and unit squares
- Measuring rectangles with different unit squares
- Find area by counting unit squares
- Compare area with unit squares
- Creating rectangles with a given area 1
- Creating rectangles with a given area 2
- Create rectangles with a given area
Lindsay creates a rectangle with a given area. Created by Lindsay Spears.
Want to join the conversation?
- what is the square route of 81(17 votes)
- At1:06Why not one column?(20 votes)
- Because it asks for a rectangle with 10 square units but one column would only be 6 square units.(10 votes)
- this is so easy i'm not lieing this is really easy(16 votes)
- what is 10008655+34567543212345=?(12 votes)
- how would you make 5 square units(10 votes)
- draw 1 column or line like this□□□□□, remember, there's no space between the square, but the input method does this, and I only demo the line(8 votes)
- how to group numbers 1 to 30 based on the number of rectangles you made(13 votes)
- how can we use this math in real life(8 votes)
- Mathematics is very useful in a wide range of situations. Math can help you with job and financing. Math is used in a ton of jobs (such as architecture, science related, and computer related jobs). It can also help if you are trying to make repairs to your home, or even if you are making your own home. In conclusion, math is used very often and is a key part in almost everything that uses measurements.(9 votes)
- how do you mske 10 square units but you only have 5 square units(6 votes)
- Just think. You can get 10 through 1 x 10, or 2 x 5. Right? 2 x 5 = 5 + 5 = 10. So a rectangle 2 by 5 would make sense.(8 votes)
- [Voiceover] Each small square on the grid has an area of one square unit. So, each of these small squares is one square unit. This square is one square unit, and this square is one square unit, and so on. And now we're asked to draw a rectangle with an area of 10 square units. Well, this word "area" here is talking about how much space our shape covers. So, our shape in this case is a rectangle, so we're being asked to draw a rectangle that covers 10 square units, and we know that each of these is one square unit, so we want a rectangle that covers 10 of the square units. We could try just drawing a rectangle right across this top row until we get 10 square units, but the problem there is there's only one, two, three, four, five, six, seven square units going across the top. So we can't just do one long row of 10 square units. We can't do one long column either, because one, two, three, four, five, six. Only six square units, so we can't draw a rectangle going down like that either because we need 10 square units. So that means we're gonna have to break up our 10 into equal groups. Since it can't all fit on one row, we're gonna have to break up the unit squares into groups. So, we can break up a 10 into two groups of five, or five groups of two. Either one of those will work. So let's do that. Let's draw ourselves a rectangle, and we'll start up here. Here's a rectangle. And let's see, that's five. And we can space and make sure that covers the whole square unit. There we go. So here's our rectangle, and this rectangle covers one, two, three, four, five, there's the first row of five. And the second row of five has unit squares six, seven, eight, nine, and ten. So, here's one perfect answer, a rectangle that has two rows of five square units, and we could've drawn this rectangle anywhere on the grid. It doesn't matter. We could've drawn it down here with two rows of five, or right here with two rows of five. Any rectangle covering two rows of five has an area of 10 unit squares. Similarly, any rectangle covering five rows of two, let's look and see if we can try to show that. Here we go. Here's a rectangle. And this one will cover one, two, so we have rows of two, and there's five rows. So, one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, 10. So again, this rectangle covers 10 square units. So any rectangle you can draw on the grid that either covers two rows of five square units or five rows of two square units is a rectangle with an area of 10 square units.