- Creating picture and bar graphs
- Creating picture graphs
- Create picture graphs (picture more than 1)
- Solving problems with picture graphs
- Reading picture graphs
- Read picture graphs
- Interpreting picture graphs: paint
- Interpreting picture graphs: notebook
- Reading picture graphs: multi-step
- Read picture graphs (multi-step problems)
Interpret picture graphs (pictographs) to answer single-step questions about a context.
Reading picture graphs
Picture graphs use pictures or symbols to represent data. Let's look at the picture graph below.
Hopper the rabbit and her friends are collecting carrots. They made a picture graph to show how many carrots each of them collected.
carrots collected by the rabbits. Since Hopper has
above her name in the picture graph, we can multiply to find out how many carrots she collected.
We can follow the same steps to find how many carrots each of Hopper's friends collected.
Practice Problem 1
How many carrots did Floppy collect?
John graphed the number of flowers he planted in his garden.
Practice Problem 2A
How many total flowers did John plant?
Practice Problem 2B
How many more lilies did John plant than roses?
Practice Problem 2C
John planted the same amount of which two flowers?
: Boat captains
Four boat captains, Ron, Dora, Jess, and Mark made a graph of the number of whales they saw while at sea last month.
Practice Problem 3A
fewer whales than Mark.
Practice Problem 3B
Which captain(s) saw more than
Example 3: Creating a picture graph then reading it
Alyssa counts sheep to help her go to sleep. She made a table of how many sheep she counted over the past four days.
|Day||Number of sheep counted|
Practice Problem 4A
**Use the table to create a picture graph. Click above each category to insert the correct number of
Now that we have created our picture graph, let's answer some questions.
Practice Problem 4B
fewer sheep on Tuesday than on Monday.
Practice Problem 4C
How many more sheep did Alyssa count on Monday and Tuesday combined than on Wednesday?
Want to join the conversation?
- Do you have to do the Challenge even if you don't want to do it?(31 votes)
- If it's an article, why does it have problems?(7 votes)
- On the whale one, I don't get any of it why is it so confusing😠(6 votes)
- I do know how to do all do you know what 10x10=(4 votes)
- why are we doing step by step(3 votes)
- This was so Mathematics in an interesting and easy-to-understand manner. Mathematical ideas have been explained in the simplest possible way. Here you will have plenty of math help and lots of fun while learning and teaching math step-by-step.(7 votes)
- i got the sheep bar graph correct but its saying im wrong(5 votes)