Telling time to the nearest minute (labeled clock)
Lindsay reads the time on labeled analog clocks to the nearest minute. Created by Lindsay Spears.
Want to join the conversation?
- how is millatary time used and what is it?(11 votes)
- Military time is like regular time but doesn't reset at12:00. It resets at24:00(8 votes)
- is the hour hand important?(10 votes)
- Yes, the hour hand shows what hour it is on the specific day(5 votes)
- Can you tell us how millatary hours work please.(4 votes)
- Millitary time (24-hour format) simply continues counting up from12:00noon. If the given 24-hour format time is greater than 12, subtract 12 from the time to convert back to 12-hour format:13:00-12:00=1:00PM20:00-12:00=8:00PM23:36-12:00=11:36PM(6 votes)
- I am with you so Im in ezekiel shaeffer(4 votes)
- I found this hard my parents say bc I am 6(5 votes)
- how does time work(3 votes)
- its easy for time to work, long ago clocks were made way back in greek times, some used sand to tell the time, even some used the sun! time is a easy way to tell when if(or) you have a schedule(3 votes)
- The hour hand and the minute hand is a mustache(4 votes)
- do you have a video on telling time with # lines(3 votes)
- how do you know what the short and long hand is pointing(2 votes)
- I cannot figure out time on a numberline how much do you count?(2 votes)
- [Voiceover] Let's look at this clock and see if we can tell what time is shown on it. First thing, when we look at a clock, we have two hands and that's because time is told in two parts. Time is told in hours, that's part. And on a clock the hours are represented by the short hand, and then the other part is minutes. And on an analog clock like this one, minutes are represented by the long hand. So let's look first at hours. We have the short hand, and it's between the six and the seven. What that means is it's after 6 o'clock, but not quite seven, 'cause the hour hand started at the top and worked its way around and it's gone past 6 o'clock, but it's not seven. So it's six something. Six something. It might be 6:15, might be 6:45. We'll figure out the minutes next, but we know it's after 6 o'clock but not a seven. So we'll put a six in our hours place. Then for minutes we have this longer hand which is pointing right here at this mark. And minutes, again, start at the top and work their way around. But now each of these little spaces is one minute. So we can go one, two, three, four, five, and when we get to this first square, this first where this one is, we've gone five minutes. Let's keep going like that. Six, seven, eight, nine, 10 at this next one, and maybe you see a pattern here. Every time we get to one of these numbers or the squares, the bigger marks, we've gone five more minutes. So if we keep going this will be 15 minutes past the hour. Keep going. 20. Keep going. 25. Now we can't go all the way to the six because our minute hand stopped here. It hasn't reached this part. So after 25, we'll go back to counting by one, is the one minute. We have 25, 26, 27. The minute hand has gone past 27 of these marks, meaning that it is 27 minutes past the hour. Let's try another one. The hour hand is between the four and the five, which means it's after 4 o'clock. It's some amount of minutes after four, but it is not yet five. And now let's look at our minute hand. The longer hand represents minutes. So the minute hand started at the top and it's gone five, 10, 15, not quite to 20, so let's go back to 15 and then count by ones. 16, 17, 18, 19. Our minute hand lines up to 19. So it is 19 minutes after four, or 4:19. On this one I encourage you to pause the video and see if you can figure out the time. Okay, let's try it together now. So the hour hand, between the seven and the eight. So it's after seven, but not quite eight, and by looking at the hour hand we can see it's quite a bit after seven 'cause it's almost eight. And looking at the minute hand, confirms that the minute hand's gone all the way to here. It's almost back to the top. And that minute hand, starting at the top, has gone five, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, and one more, 46 minutes past. 46 minutes past seven. The time is 7:46.