High school geometry
- Intro to triangle similarity
- Triangle similarity postulates/criteria
- Angle-angle triangle similarity criterion
- Determine similar triangles: Angles
- Determine similar triangles: SSS
- Determining similar triangles
- Prove triangle similarity
- Triangle similarity review
Triangle similarity review
Review the triangle similarity criteria and use them to determine similar triangles.
What are the triangle similarity criteria?
|AA||Two pairs of corresponding angles are equal |
Two triangles. One triangle is smaller than the other. Both triangle have two angles that are congruent.
|SSS||Three pairs of corresponding sides are proportional |
Two triangles. One triangle is smaller than the other. The smaller triangle has side lengths a, b, and c. The larger triangle has side lengths a times k, b times k, c times k.
|SAS||Two pairs of corresponding sides are proportional and the corresponding angles between them are equal |
Two triangles. One triangle is smaller than the other. The smaller triangle has side lengths a and b. The larger triangle has side lengths a times k and b times k. The angle between the side lengths of the smaller triangle is congruent to the angle between the side lengths of the larger triangle.
Want to learn more about the triangle similarity criteria? Check out this video.
Check your understanding
Three triangles labeled A, B, and C. Triangle A has a forty-six degree angle and a seventy-nine degree angle. Triangle B has a fifty-one degree angle and a sixty-two degree angle. Triangle C has a forty-six degree angle and a seventy-nine degree angle.
Which triangle is similar to triangle ?
Want to practice more problems like this? Check out this exercise for the AA criterion and this exercise for the SSS criterion.
Want to join the conversation?
- i dont get most of this stuff(17 votes)
- Try to practice upon it and you might get it, or just use khan academy's practice a lot. Hope it helps(14 votes)
- How can you tell the difference between SAS and SSA? (Assume you had a problem and had to chose if it was sim. because of SAS or SSA, how would you figure it out?)(8 votes)
- SAS means that the angle is in between the two sides in question. SSA means the angle is not in between.(13 votes)
- The videos im watching is not adding up to the working you guys are giving me. Im so lost.(6 votes)
- Define Equation(0 votes)
- An equation is a statement with an equals sign.
So 3 + 5 = 8 and 5x + 12 = (x / 4) + 3 are both equations,
but 24 * 9 and 3y ≥ x - 8 are not equations.(8 votes)
- gelp im in 8 doing this while other people are doing calculus rn :sob:(2 votes)
- why does this make sense(4 votes)
- Because it just does.(0 votes)
- What other triangle similarity criteria can be used?(1 vote)
- how was math triage and Simlires(1 vote)
- how math larger be long time to get dane(1 vote)