Get ready for 8th grade
Writing proportional equations
Sal figures out the constant of proportionality when dealing with a constant rate.
Want to join the conversation?
- I am still confused(25 votes)
- "Scarlett is playing a video game. She spends 900 minerals to create 18 workers. Each worker costs the same number of minerals.
Write an equation to describe the relationship between m, the amount of minerals, and w, the number of workers."
For this Question, my equation was: m=50w, and it marked me wrong. Isn't it supposed to be correct because for each worker she uses 50 minerals.
My work: I started off with 900/18 to find the unit rate, (50) and found out that that was the number of minerals used to make 1 worker. You need to multiply 50 by the number of workers to find out the total amount of minerals you used up. I am right, right?(19 votes)
- Hmmm... that does seem correct... Did you check what they had the answer as? Perhaps they wanted it to be w=?m, since that would tell how many minerals per worker, and how much of the minerals goes toward each worker. I am not sure, but it is always a good idea to check through Khan Academy's work, so you can see what could've gone wrong!! I bet this didn't really help very much, sorry!(8 votes)
- How can you use rates and proportional relationships in the real world?(14 votes)
- Is there a different way other than that.(4 votes)
- what I see is that you get a problem like the one in the video and do x/y or in the video d/h. if this does not help then sorry.(5 votes)
- Could you make a video on how to make proportional equations of tables(5 votes)
This is one of the several videos that Sal has made explaining how to construct an equation from a table. You might find more of them in the Get Ready for 8th Grade course and 8th Grade course or in the pre-algebra course.(0 votes)
- who else doesnt pause the video(2 votes)
- I never pause thee vid so upvote if you never pause vid 😁👍🏻(5 votes)
- How is it D=kh? Isn't it susposed to be K= Y/X? because that's what were doing in school.(3 votes)
- Its the same thing, but in this case, D=Y and h=X. Also both sides have also been multiplied by X.(1 vote)
- I DONT GET THISS literally anything ;’((2 votes)
- I've watched this thing like 3 times and it still says I didn't do it.(3 votes)
- A unicorn daycare center requires there to be 2 supervisors for every 18 baby unicorns.
Write an equation that shows the relationship between nnnn, the number of supervisors, and uuuu, the number of baby unicorns.
Please note that this is a magical daycare center, so fractional supervisors are allowed.
do they cut a supervisor in half and take it with them?(2 votes)
- [Instructor] We're told that Justin runs at a constant rate, traveling 17 kilometers in two hours. Write an equation that shows the relationship between the distance he runs, d, in kilometers and the time he spends running, h, in hours. So, pause this video and see if you can work through that on your own before we do it together. All right, now there's several ways to approach this question. One way is to say, look, he's running at a constant rate, so his distance is going to be equal to some constant, let's just call that lowercase k, times the amount of time he spends running, and the way that we can figure out what k is is by using the information that they gave us. They tell us right over here that when our distance is 17 kilometers, so when our distance is 17 kilometers, that's a situation where he has been running for two hours. So, that is going to be equal to k times two hours. So, what is k going to be? Pause the video again and see if you can figure it out, if you didn't figure it out the first time I asked you to pause the video. All right, well there's a bunch of ways to solve for k, but one way is to say, let's just divide both sides by two hours. So, if you divide both sides by two hours, you are going to get that k is going to be equal 17 over two kilometers per hour, which is, 17 over two is 8.5, 8.5 kilometers per hour. And so, if we go back to the original question, which asks us to write an equation that shows the relationship between d and h, we can say that d is equal to, we now know our proportionality constant, it is 8.5 times h. 8.5 times h, and we're done. If we wanted to write their units, we could write d is equal to 8.5 kilometers per hour times h, which is given in hours.