Class 6 math (India)
Rounding whole numbers to nearest thousand
Sal rounds 423,275 to the nearest thousand. Created by Sal Khan and Monterey Institute for Technology and Education.
Want to join the conversation?
- I have a problem at rounding up this number, this is either my teacher teach me this or I just don't know:
Round 14,699 to the nearest ten thousand
I have 2 way of doing this
- Round every single number, start at the one, and then move up to ten thousand.
- Round the thousand.
If with way 1, I'll get 20000 (my teacher taught me this)
If with way 2, I'll get 10000 (like the demonstration)
Which way is correct?(17 votes)
- The answer would be 10000. You always use the digit to the right of the place you want to round to help you determine whether to round up or down. But notice you said "round the thousand", but you are actually rounding the ten thousand, by looking at the thousand.(26 votes)
- when you round to the nearest hundred thousand what do you do?(11 votes)
- When you round to the nearest hundred thousand you round up by a hundred thousand. For example, lets say you have, 587,531, when you round to the nearest hundred thousand it becomes 600,000. Hope this helps.(8 votes)
- if 1 x 2 = 2 What is 2 x 1?(3 votes)
- 1 x 2 is the same as 2 x 1.
1 x 2 = 2
2 x 1 = 2
If you are multiplying the exact same numbers, then it doesn't matter in what order you multiply them:
1 x 2 = 2 x 1 = 2
(This is the Commutative Property of Multiplication, which states that ab = ba.)
Hope this helps!(20 votes)
- How do you round fraction(6 votes)
- 8/7you can round that to one because 7/7 is one,and 8/7 is not too much bigger. hope this helps(3 votes)
- I think he switched the greater than and less than sign.<5 >5(5 votes)
- The inequalities are correct. Sal initially made an error, but immediately corrects his error.(7 votes)
- how come it says rounding ten and the vid did not say nothing about rounding ;-;(7 votes)
- yeah 5 is supposed to round up. 5 is closer to the following.(6 votes)
- can i have votes please...?(5 votes)
- Can you please make the questions easier?
For me it’s to hard.(5 votes)
- What is a whole number?(2 votes)
- A whole number is an integer, a number that can be written without a fractional component. For example, 211, 46, 0, and −237 are integers, while 6.45, 3 1/2, and √2 are not.(4 votes)
Round 423,275 to the nearest thousand. So let me rewrite it: 423,275. And so the thousands place is the 3 right here, and so if we were round it up to the nearest thousand, we would go to 420-- let me write it so we just focus on the 3-- we would go up to 424,000 if we wanted to round up, 424,000, and if we wanted to round down, we would go to 423,000. We would get rid of the 275. 423,000. So this is our choice. Round up to 424,000 or round down to 423,000. And to figure it out, we just look at the digit one place to the right of the 3, so we look at the 2 right there. If that digit is 5 or greater, you round up. So this is 5. So if this is greater than or equal to 5, 5 or greater, you round up. If it's less than 5, you round down. 2 is definitely less than 5, so we just round down, so it is 423,000. Now just to visualize what this means to the nearest thousand, if I were to do a number line-- and you don't have to do this. We've gotten the answer, but just to have a little bit better visualization of it, if I were to increment by thousands, you might have 422,000, 423,000. You have 424,000, and then maybe over here, you have 425,000, and you could keep going. Now 423,275 is going to be someplace right around here. And so when we round to the nearest thousand, we have to pick between that and that. We see that it much closer to 423,000 than to 424,000, so we round it right there. But you just use the rules we just came up with, and we rounded down to 423,000.