Statistics and probability
- Identifying individuals, variables and categorical variables in a data set
- Individuals, variables, and categorical & quantitative data
- Reading pictographs
- Read picture graphs (multi-step problems)
- Reading bar graphs
- Reading bar graphs: Harry Potter
- Creating a bar graph
- Create bar graphs
- Reading bar charts: comparing two sets of data
- Read bar graphs (2-step problems)
- Reading bar charts: putting it together with central tendency
- Reading pie graphs (circle graphs)
- Picture graphs (pictographs) review
- Bar graphs review
Reading bar charts: putting it together with central tendency
Let's combine some learning! Here we looking at bar charts and using the information to determine the measures of central tendency. Created by Sal Khan.
Want to join the conversation?
- what is median?(65 votes)
- A median is the number in the middle of a set of numbers. Sometimes, though, a group of numbers doesn't have one middle number. That happens when there is an even amount of numbers. To find the median you add the two middle numbers and divide by two.
Example: If you have 2,7,8,10, the median would be 7+8 divided by 2, which equals 7.5(94 votes)
- whats the difference between range and midrange?(18 votes)
- Avin, Great question!
A range is the difference between the lowest and highest values of the data set. For example, if the data set was 5, 8, 2, and 9; the lowest value would be 2 and the highest would be 9. You could also write it as 2 - 9.
The midrange is the mean (another word for average, in case you didn't know) of the maximum and minimum (lowest and highest) values of the data set.
So if the data set was 5,7,6,9 then the maximum value would be 9 and the minimum would be 5. To find the average of 5 and 9 would be to add them and divide by 2.
9 + 5 = 14
14 / 2 = 7
7 would be the midrange of this example .
As you can see, range and midrange are two totally different things, and now you know the difference!
Hope this helps! :)(49 votes)
- Is there a faster way of getting averages than adding all of them and dividing?(18 votes)
- There isn't a general way with random data that's simpler, but there are sometimes tricks with certain data. If all your numbers are identical (like
4 4 4 4 4 4, then there's no need to add and divide - the answer is simply that number, in this case
If you had
4 4 1 4 4 4 4, instead of adding everything, you could do
4*6+1and then divide, to be a little easier.
If you have an odd-count linear sequence of numbers, like
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11then the answer is just the average of the lowest and highest numbers, in this case
3+11/2 = 7so the average is just
- i need help what is the range :((5 votes)
- The range is the difference between the lowest and highest values. For example, if the data set was: 3,6,11,9,2; the highest number would be 11 and the lowest would be 2 and you would subtract those to get 9. You could also write it as 2-11.(12 votes)
- what is a mean(3 votes)
- It's s/a where s=sum of the numbers and a= amount of the numbers. So 3,4,5 would be 12/3 or 4/1 which is 4. Hope this helps!(7 votes)
- what is median and midrange.(3 votes)
- the medain is the middle # the midrange is the middle part of a range(2 votes)
- In what situation (IRL) would the mean or range of something come in handy?(4 votes)
- Is Midterm and final the same thing?(2 votes)
- The midterm is halfway through the semester/term, and the final is at the end of the semester/term.(3 votes)
- What if you have two Modes?(2 votes)
- If there are two modes, find the mean of the two modes. (add them and then divide by two).(3 votes)
- It is kinda hard when they ask the median score or the average. So, I am going to watch thais video in hope this helps!(2 votes)
- The average is the "mean" or when you add all of the numbers in bar charts together, then you divide it by the number of numbers there are. Let's take the pair of numbers 12, 14, and 15.
I would have to add 12,15,and 15 to get 42. 42 has to be divided by three to get 14. 14 would be your average, or mean for this set of numbers.
The median is VERY SIMPLE. You just have to line of all of the numbers from least to greatest and then ninja slice from each side equally until you get the middle number!
An Example is: 12, 13,13,19,and 17
I would line up 12 as the least and then 13, 13, 17,and 19 as the greatest.
Then I would chop off 12 and 19, as they are the numbers on the end and just keep going one by one to get to 13 as my median.(2 votes)
In this chart right here we're given scores on midterm and final exams, where the vertical axis is the score in points. And then each of these pairs of bar charts give us for an individual, where the blue bar is, for example, how Ishaan did on the midterm, the yellow is how he did on the final. For Emily, the blue is how she did on the midterm, yellow is how she did on the final. And we have a bunch of interesting questions here. The first question, what was the median score for the final exam? So just as a review, median literally means what was the middle score? So really we should list all the scores for the final exam and sort them in order and then figure out what the middle score actually was. So let's look at all the scores on final exam. Sp you have 100 here. Ishaan got 100 on the final exam. Remember, this yellow bar is the final exam. So there's 100. Emily also got 100 on the final exam. It looks like it was an easy final exam. Daniel also got 100 on the final exam. And then, let's see, Jessica, it looks like she got a 75. And then William got an 80. So if we were to sort these in order, and let's say we did it in increasing order, you could write-- well, the lowest score was a 75, then you have an 80, and then you have three 100's-- 100, another 100, and another 100. So there's five scores right over here, so you will have a middle. If you had an even number, then you would take the mean of the two center values. But here you have one center value, and when you order it like this, it's pretty clear that your center value, your middle value, is 100. So the median score for the final exam is 100. And that's because you had so many hundreds here that the median, the middle score, was still 100. What is the midrange of the midterm scores? I'll do it in blue in honor of the color of the bars for the midterm. So the midrange is the mean of your highest and lowest scores. So let's calculate this. So let's go to the midrange. The midrange, you could view it as the arithmetic mean, or the average of your highest and lowest scores, so the midrange of midterm. So let's see, the highest midterm score, looking at the blue, the highest one is right here. So Jessica got 100 on the midterm, so that's your highest score. Your lowest score on the midterm looks like this one right over here. Daniel got a 60. And so the midrange is going to be the mean, the arithmetic mean of these two numbers. So you add 100 plus 60, divide by 2, you get 160 over 2, or 80. So this right over here is going to be 80. What was the average student score for the final exam? Well, for, that we just have to add up the scores on the final exams and then divide by the number of scores we have. So we might be able to do that in our heads. Let's see. Well, we could-- let me just write it over here. So we have 100, plus 100, plus 100, plus 75, plus 80. So all of that divided by 5, that will give us our average. If someone tells you average without giving more information, they're probably talking about the arithmetic mean. So this is going to be 300 plus another 155, so it's going to be 455 over 5. And let's see, 5, this is going to be equal to-- 5 goes in-- let me write it down here. This is equal to-- 5 goes into 45, or 450 ninety times and into 5 once. So this is going to be equal to 91. So the average score for the final exam is a 91. What was the mode for the final exam scores? So the mode is the most common score. So once again, we've listed all of them, and it's pretty clear the most common score here is 100. 100 shows up three times, while a 75 only shows up once, and an 80 only shows up once. So here the most common score is 100. It shows up three times. What is the range of the midterm scores? So the range is literally the difference between the highest score and the lowest score. So the highest score, we already figured out, and this is for the midterm. So the highest score is 100. And we're going to subtract from that the lowest score, which was a 60. So the range is equal to 40. The midrange was the average of these two things. The range is just the difference between the two. So the range of the midterm scores is 40. And we're done.