Statistics and probability
- Two-way frequency tables and Venn diagrams
- Two-way frequency tables
- Read two-way frequency tables
- Create two-way frequency tables
- Two-way relative frequency tables
- Create two-way relative frequency tables
- Analyze two-way frequency tables
- Interpreting two-way tables
- Interpret two-way tables
- Categorical data example
- Analyzing trends in categorical data
- Trends in categorical data
- Two-way relative frequency tables and associations
- Two-way tables review
Categorical data example
We can explore the relationship between two categorical variables with two-way tables to see if there is an association between the variables. In this example, we see if data from a sample suggests an associate between video games and violence. Created by Sal Khan.
Want to join the conversation?
- Is the faction who plays video games is 4 or 5?(7 votes)
- there are basically 5 kids who play the games and 4 of them didn't get into a fight(11 votes)
- I didn't understand what exactly you want to convey from this video. You took a small sample and analysed according to that and concluded what??(4 votes)
- I believe the main point of this video was an introduction on how to categorize and organize data into a frequency table.(8 votes)
- Why don't all the fractions add up to 1?(2 votes)
- This is a row-relative frequency table. The fractions add up to 1 in each row.(7 votes)
- is this true or is it mostly fake stuff i am lost(2 votes)
- Why did he change from 1/15 to 1/5 and from 4/15 to 4/5? Anyone can explain to me, thanks.(1 vote)
- He simplified the fraction 3/15 by dividing the numerator and denominator by 3. 3 goes into 3 -> 1 time. 3 goes into 15 -> 5 times. The resulting fraction is 1/5.
The second fraction was 12/15. It was also reduced by a factor of 3. 3 goes into 12 -> 4 times. 3 goes into 15 -> 5 times. That gives us 4/5.(2 votes)
- At4:55some video games are violent and some are not... is this video just about the non violent ones... there are some sort of violent ones but they wouldn't influence bad things... how does that work?(1 vote)
- This video is focusing only on violent video games. Of course, "violent" depends on your personal definition, but that doesn't matter here.(1 vote)
- how do yo u get to where you started(1 vote)
- Playing does cause violent Behavior if they have anger issues but without anger issue it cause anger issues or not. So it's pretty much the issues of the person that matter.
Am I right or not(1 vote)
- What means categorical data ?(1 vote)
- Categorical data is the statistical data type consisting of categorical variables or of data that has been converted into that form, for example as grouped data. so if this doesn't help idk what will(1 vote)
- Here's a tip: Only read the graph in the way it's structured. If it's read as a column graph read it in a column way, not in rows. Otherwise it would be wrong as the population wouldn't apply to both. If the question has a statement that says something that has the opposite structure to that of the actual graph then it's wrong because the graph should be interpreted in the right way.(1 vote)
Lucio wants to test whether playing violent video games makes people more violent. He asks his friends whether they play violent video games and whether they have been in a fight in the last month. He recorded the results in the table shown below. Fill in the table to show the fraction of each group of students who have been in a fight. Then decide whether there is an association between violent video games and getting in a fight amongst Lucio's friends. So let's see what they're doing here. So students who play video games-- fractions who have been in a fight, fraction who haven't. Students who don't play violent video games-- fraction who have been in a fight, fraction who haven't. So let's answer the first part of this. Students who play violent video games. So let's look at those students. So the students who play violent video games-- it looks like Ellen plays violent video games. Actually, let me just focus on the data that we care about. So Ellen. So let's look at all the people who play violent video games. So let's see. This column is violent video games. So we have a yes here. So actually, we have both of these right over here. And then we have down here. And then that's all of them. There's 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 people who play violent video games. Now what fraction of them have been in a fight? Well, it looks like 1 out of the 5 have been in a fight. The rest of them have not been in a fight. So we could say 1/5-- let's just write that down. So 1/5 have been in a fight. Fraction who haven't-- 4/5. So that's all these other nos. They play violent video games, but they haven't been in a fight. 1, 2, 3, 4-- 4/5. So students who don't play violent video games. Well, that's everyone else. And let's see how many data points that is. That is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15. So there's a total of 15 students. And how many of them have been in a fight? So let's see. We have 1. And then let's see, 1, and 2, and 3. So 3 out of the 15 have been in a fight. So 3 out of 15 is the same thing as 1 out of 5. Those are equivalent fractions. And then the fraction who haven't? Well, that's just going to be everyone else. That's going to be 12 out of 15 or 4 out of 5. So based on Lucio's data-- and this wasn't a huge sample size, obviously. He only found 5 kids who were playing violent video games. And 1 of them had gotten into a fight. So this isn't a super rigorous study. But at least based on his data, if we're trying to decide whether there's an association between violent games and getting into a fight amongst Lucio's friends, it doesn't seem like there is. It seems like relatively, whether or not they play violent video games or not, 1/5 of them have been in a fight in the last month. So it really doesn't seem any difference. If this number was, I don't know, 4/5, or 5/5, or all of them, then I'd say, hey, even with Lucio's fairly small sample, I would say, hey, maybe there is some type of a strong association between playing violent video games and fighting. But here you really don't see any difference.