|Genome||The full set of genetic information an organism has in its DNA|
|Chromosome||Threadlike structure of DNA and protein containing genetic information|
|Homologous chromosomes||Set of chromosomes (one from each parent), that are very similar to one another and have the same size/shape|
|Diploid (2n)||Cell that contains two sets of homologous chromosomes|
|Haploid (n)||Cell that contains only a single set of genes|
|Sex chromosome||One of two chromosomes (X or Y) that determines an organism's sex|
|Autosome||Chromosome that is not a sex chromosome|
|Karyotype||Micrograph image of diploid set of chromosomes, grouped in pairs|
DNA and chromosomes
A cell’s set of DNA is called its genome. We can refer to the genome of an organism or of a species, since the members of a species typically have similar genomes.
Most prokaryotes contain a single circular DNA chromosome. This genetic information is found in the cytoplasm.
Eukaryotic DNA is highly structured and organized and contain multiple chromosomes. These chromosomes are packaged and stored within the nucleus.
Different species have different numbers of chromosomes. For example, humans are diploid (2n) and have 46 chromosomes in their normal body cells. These 46 chromosomes are organized into 23 pairs: 22 pairs of autosomes and 1 pair of sex chromosomes.
The sex cells of a human are haploid (n), containing only one homologous chromosome from each pair. This is so that when the sex cells fuse together during fertilization, a complete diploid set is formed.
An organism's full set of chromosomes can be viewed by taking photographs of cells dividing. These images are then arranged to form a karyotype.
Common mistakes and misconceptions
- Eukaryotic chromosomes consist of two sister chromatids. The sister chromatids are identical to one another and are attached at a compressed region called the centromere. This is important for chromosomal separation during cell division. When the sister chromatids are connected at the centromere, they are still considered to be one chromosome (X-shaped). However, as soon as they are pulled apart during cell division, each is considered a separate chromosome.
- Chromosomes, DNA, genes, and genomes are not all the same thing. Sometimes these words are used interchangeably, but they are not the same. DNA is the building block of the genetic material found in all living things. A very long chain of DNA can form a chromosome. In these chromosomes are areas called genes that code for specific proteins. All the different chromosomes of an organism make up that organism's genome. In other words: DNA makes up genes, genes make up chromosomes, and chromosomes make up a genome.
Want to join the conversation?
- what are the histones? and what do histones do? also, are the histones?(9 votes)
- Histones are bobbin shaped, positively charged, eukaryotic proteins. Because the histones are positively charged, they attract negatively charged DNA which then wraps itself around the histones. This organizes and condenses the DNA, I believe this is for when the chromosomes duplicate. Histone also play a part in gene activity.
Hope that is helpful :)(14 votes)
- What is a cohesin? What is its purpose?(9 votes)
- Cohesion or cohesive attraction or cohesive force is the action or property of like molecules sticking together, being mutually attractive. Wikipedia(5 votes)
- An organism has an "n" number of 15. In a diploid cell of this organism preparing to enter mitosis, there will be __ chromosomes, which will contain __ chromatids.(9 votes)
2= diploid has two sets
n= the number of chromosomes in a set
30= number of chromosomes
Chromatids= 2*chromosomes (only of before mitosis)(5 votes)
- I believe there is an error to this lesson. Why does it say "DNA makes up genes, genes make up chromosomes" (at the very end). Shouldn't it be "Genes make up DNA, DNA makes up chromosomes"(9 votes)
- DNA makes up genes because they are several DNA strands that come together and form a certain characteristic about an organism.(2 votes)
- اريد ان اقول مافهمته من هذا الدرس واذا كان هناك خطا في مفهومي رجاء صححه لي
عندما يرتبط كروماتيدين نعتبره كرموسوم واحد وعندما تنفصل يكون لدينا اثنان من الكروموسومات وكروماتين لك واحده ؟(5 votes)
- So DNA includes all Mental and Physical properties from both Mother and father?(3 votes)
- how do we identify students misconception?(1 vote)