Class 10 Chemistry (India)
Let's look at how to reduce compounds of differently reactive metals. Created by Ram Prakash.
Want to join the conversation?
- At6:15, it is written that we can use electrolytic decomposition for extracting sodium from NaCl. But, NaCl is not even a metal oxide. So, if this is the case, then why to even convert metallic compounds to metal oxides in the second step?(2 votes)
- Hey! good question
the conversion of metallic compounds to metal oxides is not necessary for every element, and hence, it is mainly used in high to medium reactive elements.
Now that is because electrolytic decomposition of high to medium reactive elements won't be easy because they are less reactive. For high reactive metals, it will happen very fast and the ions would very easily be dissociated and the metal would be derived. Also the highly reactive metals cannot be converted into their oxides because that reaction itself will be extremely dangerous and exothermic(mostly.) Hope it helps!~(1 vote)
- What is the feature that make metals like platinum and gold very precious? If metals are very precious why is iron less expensive than gold(1 vote)
- other than what Akshat kumar said, it is also very difficult to obtain large quantities of gold or platinum. this factor also adds to the reason why they are precious.(2 votes)
- what is reduction?why is reduction?(1 vote)
- Reduction is the process of removing oxygen from a chemical compound, generally done by a reducing agent. Reduction is done in the process of extraction of metals to obtain pure metal from their oxides.(1 vote)
- as already told earlier, silver and gold dont react with oxygen as they are less reactive metals but then how at1:44did heating make them pure??(1 vote)
- 6:03onwards why is NaCl being used? Isn't the whole goal to get metals from their oxides?(0 votes)
- In previous videos ram proclaimed that aluminium oxide is not soluble in water ans hence used in making foils. But here in reduction of aluminium oxide how come did he made it a aqeuous solution in this video?(0 votes)
- he didn't say aqueous solution. he had mentioned that it will be taken in the molten state. this means that the aluminium is first melted and then electricity is passed through it.(2 votes)
- In 4.50 is pure metal set to anode or cathode and what about impure metal.anode is + and cathode is -(0 votes)