Electromagnetic field (forward vs. reverse)
Apply current in both directions and notice the response is different. Created by Brit Cruise.
Want to join the conversation?
- Does the needle spin in different directions because the flow of electrons is different? Or is it because of something else?(6 votes)
- In this situation, the current is flowing in the opposite direction from situation A to situation B. If you watch Sal's videos on magnetism, you will learn that opposite current means opposite magnetic field.(8 votes)
- at0:13the compass move clockwise.However at0:26when the battery changed and the crocodile wire changed its position, the compass move counter clockwise. Why is it so?(4 votes)
- Beacuse you've changed the whole current direction, so it caused a change in way. Check right hand rule for more.(3 votes)
- Why is there tape below the compass?(3 votes)
- The tape is there only to elevate the compass, so the wire can pass underneath.(1 vote)
- At0:28, is counterclockwise more powerful? It looks that way from the video.(3 votes)
- Do electromagnets have north and south poles? I think so but thought I'd check...
And if so, than wouldn't it behave differently than with normal magnets?(2 votes)
- why isn't the battery shorting out from this?(1 vote)
- What if you DON'T notice the response is different?(2 votes)
- How can you make the electromagnet stronger?(1 vote)
- increasing the amount of current passing through is one way....another is making coils out of the wire so that the magnetic fields are more congested...thus, stronger.(1 vote)
- where can I find Sal's videos on magnetism?(1 vote)
- In which direction does it move clock-wise and in which direction anti-clockwise?(1 vote)
[This video contains no audio narrations.] Caption: clockwise Caption: counterclockwise