The Internet is a global network of computing devices communicating with each other in some way, whether they're sending emails, downloading files, or sharing websites.
The Internet is an open network: any computing device can join as long as they follow the rules of the game. In networking, the rules are known as protocols and they define how each device must communicate with each other. The Internet is powered by many layers of protocols.
To create a global network of computing devices, we need:
- Wires & wireless: Physical connections between devices, plus protocols for converting electromagnetic signals into binary data.
- IP: A protocol that uniquely identify devices using IP addresses and provides a routing strategy to send data to a destination IP address.
- TCP/UDP: Protocols that can transport packets of data from one device to another and check for errors along the way.
- TLS: A secure protocol for sending encrypted data so that attackers can't view private information.
- HTTP & DNS: The protocols powering the World Wide Web, what the browser uses every time you load a webpage.
You likely use the Internet every day, but you're probably new to many of those acronyms. In this unit, we'll learn more about each of the technologies underlying the Internet.
🤔 What would your life be without the Internet? What would you miss the most? What wouldn't you miss at all? What do you hope the Internet will enable in the future?
Want to join the conversation?
- Kind of unrelated to the specific content of this article, but I was curious about what hacking exactly is and how people do it (generally)?(17 votes)
- Hacking is when someone tries to find vulnerabilities in software and then attempts to exploit them.
There are two types of hackers:
Black Hat hackers are what most people think of at first. These guys will hack because of malicious intent. They may want to steal passwords, credit card information, or take control of websites/social media accounts.
White Hat hackers are often hired by companies to increase security. They will attempt to hack into something the company is trying to protect and reveal how they are hacking it and explain how to improve security.
If a company has hired a White Hat, it will usually make it more difficult for a Black Hat hacker to hack into the system later.(39 votes)
- Thanks for the info... Life would be way different without the internet. How did they decide on the name internet?(8 votes)
- It was coined back in the 1900s during the Internet's initial development period. The name "Internet" was short-hand for internetwork. Internetworking involves interconnecting a multitude of networks, so the coined term is certainly fitting, don't you think?(26 votes)
- with more introductions to connection like 5G and soon or later to be 6G how will this innovate the future of the internet? will it become more affordable in the future as we continue to climb the ladder? How are internet browsers made and if theirs a slight chance of thought could i be able to make a internet browser as well? iḿ quite curious now.(9 votes)
- I highly doubt that you could make a browser that will survive long enough to establish itself on the traditional market. However, with the potential advent of new technological ideas such as the metaverse, or AR as in the sense of hololens, google lens, and potentially apple glasses (which will probably be the first ar gasses that work), the market is a little more open. The search engine space pretty much has google as undisputed king of the hill with a 92.47% market share. However, if you were one of the first on the market for a specialized BROWSER for Meta's metaverse or apple glasses, then I could see some potential their. Otherwise, if you made a browser, it would be a hobby browser. But the AI tools in browsers like safari and google chrome make them hard to beat on any turf. As for affordability, access is as expensive as the devices that access it. As technology becomes more advanced, then manufacturing difficulty increases, potentially raising prices. But manufacturing technology is also developing at an equally breakneck pace. This helps to keep prices down. So, in all honesty, it is very difficult to predict prices for technology in the future, as more and more variables show themselves.(3 votes)
- being inspired daily and knowing things in seconds instead of going to the library and taking all day to get the information. i would not miss social meadia being full of dumb information like what some people think , that dont know how to think(10 votes)
- What is hacking and how did it come to be?(5 votes)
- Hacking is using a computer to find and exploit vulnerabilities in computer systems and networks. Cyber criminals hack to gain access to protected data, corrupt files, and take down websites, which is illegal. Ethical hackers are paid by a company to find the vulnerabilities in their systems before a hacker does, which is legal.(9 votes)
- Im trying to figure out what a potato is(6 votes)
- what are the layers of protocols that powered by the internet?(3 votes)
- It sounds like you are looking for the Internet protocol suite. You can find information on the Internet protocol suite here: https://www.khanacademy.org/computing/computers-and-internet/xcae6f4a7ff015e7d:the-internet/xcae6f4a7ff015e7d:the-internet-protocol-suite/a/the-internet-protocols(5 votes)