Sal reads and interprets bar graphs.
Want to join the conversation?
- At2:44, what does category mean?(3 votes)
- how to read bar graph when it is given in the middle of any two numbers?(2 votes)
- In such cases you must take the average of the two numbers , that means if you have two numbers like 6 and 8 then you must add 6 and 8 then divide the sum by the number of terms you are adding which in this case is 2 , and hence we get the answer 7(3 votes)
- Is there different ways to make a bar graph?(2 votes)
- Bar graphs can be vertical or horizontal, but I think other forms have different names. For example, picture graphs are similar to bar graphs, but they aren't classified as bar graphs.(2 votes)
- [Voiceover] Some students traveled by train, airplane, or boat during the summer. This bar graph shows how many students used each type of travel. All right, let's look at this thing. All right, so it tells us that five students traveled by train. It tells us that 10 students traveled by airplane. Two students traveled by boat. Then we're asked how many more students traveled by airplane than boat? Well let's see, 10 students traveled by airplane, two traveled by boat. So how many more is 10 than two? Well we could figure that out by saying, well what's 10 minus two? So 10 minus two is going to be equal to eight. Eight more students traveled by airplane than by boat. And you could even see it in the bar graph that if you wanted to go from the two who traveled by boat to the 10 who traveled by airplane, you would have to add one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight. So eight more traveled by airplane than by boat. Let's keep going. Sunny, Rover, and Buster buried, Sunny, Rover, and Buster buried bones in the backyard, or in the yard. This bar graph shows how many bones each dog buried. All right, so Sunny buried 10 bones. Rover buried three bones. Buster buried seven bones. How many fewer bones did Rover bury than Sunny? Let's see, Rover buried three bones, Sunny buried 10 bones. So how many fewer is three than 10? Well to go from 10 to three you have to take away seven. 10 minus seven is three, or 10 minus three is seven. One, two, three, four, five, six, seven. So Rover buried seven fewer bones than Sunny. 10 minus three is seven. The difference here is seven. Seven. Let's do one more of these. Let's do one more. The weather in November was sunny, cloudy, or rainy. This bar graph shows the number of days of each kind of weather. All right. So we have 18 sunny days in November. We have seven cloudy days in November. We have five rainy days in November. How many rainy days were there in November? Well I just said it. Look at the rainy category, and this bar graph shows us it goes all the way up to five. There were five rainy days in November. We got it right.