Use arrays and practice problems to understand remainders.
Some division problems work out nicely.
An array of 24 circles arranged in 3 rows of 8 circles each.
Other division problems don't work out nicely.
An array of 25 circles arranged in 3 rows of 7 circles each and 1 row of 4 circles.
Oh no! We can't split circles into perfect groups of . We have some circles left over.
How many groups of can we make?
How many circles remain? In other words, how many circles are not in a group?
Key idea: We can use a remainder to describe what remains after dividing.
Practice problem 1
An array of 19 circles arranged in 2 rows of 9 circles each and 1 row of 1 circle.
Want to join the conversation?
- When you have a remanier it can't be bigger than the other numbers right?(146 votes)
- the remainder cant be bigger than the divisor(11 votes)
- I got all right just from being with my amazing math teacher(62 votes)
- what is meaning of remainders(35 votes)
- it is the left over for example if you do 3 divied 4 it will be 1 with a remainder of 1 left over it remainder(35 votes)
- Bruh remainders are awful. I wish we could keep doing decimals..(42 votes)
- you can do demicals(5 votes)
- Can you guys update it to let you submit when your ready? I was on the first problem and while I was writing it down and everything, I looked up and all my strikes were gone and i was out. I am one of those people who are slow at doing math sometimes.(37 votes)
- No(just kidding)(11 votes)
- why are there remainders(26 votes)
- Because you can't always split quantities into equal sized groups. For example, you have 7 cookies to split between yourself and 2 friends. And, each person must get the same number of cookies. With 3 people, each person gets 2 cookies and you have 1 extra cookie. That's the remainder.(21 votes)
- at8:08how long can a division equation be(32 votes)
- as long as infinity(8 votes)
- never gonna give u up
never gonna let you down(26 votes)
- stop Ric rolling!(2 votes)
- What is a tip for the remainder game?(20 votes)
- if it an't fitting perfect in the number you divided by than it's the reminder(3 votes)
- This so amazing now my teach is going to like what 🏹 i amid well for math thx khan academy(20 votes)